Made Myself Something, on accident....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jmbaker79

jmbaker79

Got my hands on some Redwood Lace burl that I ordered and sorta forgot about for a few days, so it was a nice surprise when it showed up! Turned like butter! I did get a little excited on the cap and had that dreaded catch and looked like there was nothing but brass between centers spinning on the lathe. Flipped the switch and noticed I had blown out may 40% Or more of the cap. Found maybe 30% in four pieces. Glued it back together best I could, and made up the difference from grey and black dust from these blanks. It was a super cosmetic surgery style fix, but with this wood style, it worked perfectly. I have one tiny spot that im not happy with the patch job so.... it will be hanging out with me every day. Not really mad about it :rolleyes: It does give me some trouble in the photo area though, hard for me to get a great photo of this one, and the ones i did get seem to show a flash although it is deflected, imma call it a day with the camera! Best I got for your viewing! C&C Welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_8763 copy.jpg
    IMG_8763 copy.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_8767 copy.jpg
    IMG_8767 copy.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_8753 copy.jpg
    IMG_8753 copy.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Nice pen and a nice save. I've been there before.
I have a piece of redwood lace that I keep passing over when I look for a suitable blank.
Maybe I'll look at it a little closer now. And I'll remember to go easy too.
I's always difficult to see this kind of beauty in a wood when it is a blank.
How many coats of finish are on that?
Thanks for sharing!

jmbaker79

Thanks, its an atrax from Exotics, They are a simple clean line kit, and I really like the weight and size, would recommend checking it out. As far as finish, I dont count my CA Layers, however many it takes, but if I had to guess Id say around 8-10. MM to 12000, and plastx polish.

Jim Burr

Banned
That is some beautiful wood Justin!! But...work on the pic's!! This one deserves better...believe me...I know!!

Top Bottom