made it this morning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cloven

Cloven

The kit is a gold triton on a cocobolo blank. The cocobolo was really waxy to work with, the sanding was a bit of a pain in the butt (the radial sanding marks didn't go away 100%, but I was able to minimize them to the point you have to look close), but I love the end product. It's hard to tell by the pictures, but the more I look at it, the more I love it because it feels like a fancy executive's pen. The stripes of dark and brown in the wood make it feel so warm and regal. I have given up on keeping the one thread because I found out I can have a member photo gallery here which I will upload my pen pictures to, so I will do the normal thing of creating one thread per pen I create.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Nice one David,
As Mike said great lines.
Due to the photograph, I cannot see the Radial lines you mentioned, so I can only comment in general terms.
Radial grooves are usually indicative of any of several causes.
1.That you have not sanded up progressively through all the Grits.
2. Or, you have held it Too Long and /or Too Hard, in one spot and not moved the paper along the blank. It is good to get into the habit of lightly sanding length ways with the lathe switched off, as you get closer to your required finish.
3. Your paper was clogged , worn out or contaminated.
4. Or, you have not wiped the Blank after each grit.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Cloven

light box

I have created a light box for the purpose of photographing my pens, and this here is the first photo I've really done using it.

My primary aim was to reduce the high gloss from the CA finish and try and get the colours of the wood to show through, and I think I did pretty well.
I still need to get the white balance perfect, though this is pretty close, and something feels just slightly off about the cap...it doesn't feel foreshortened, but maybe the focus is off just a hair, I'm not sure.
Comments, not only on the pen, but the photography effort, are certainly welcome.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Excellent job! The fit of the pen is very good and your finish seems very clean.

Yes, the picture is a bit dark, but you are aware of that - keep trying.

Dalepenkala

Great looking pen David!

The kit is a gold triton on a cocobolo blank. The cocobolo was really waxy to work with, the sanding was a bit of a pain in the butt (the radial sanding marks didn't go away 100%, but I was able to minimize them to the point you have to look close), but I love the end product. It's hard to tell by the pictures, but the more I look at it, the more I love it because it feels like a fancy executive's pen. The stripes of dark and brown in the wood make it feel so warm and regal. I have given up on keeping the one thread because I found out I can have a member photo gallery here which I will upload my pen pictures to, so I will do the normal thing of creating one thread per pen I create.

Top Bottom