Made a couple of pens recently, comments welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tony Salvatore

All,
Made the Buckey burl from my BOB's on the "I lost train" ride. I thought it came out nice. The celtic pen took a while to put the blank together but turned pretty well. Made from holly and ebony. Used pre-stain to help the holly keep from getting full of the ebony as I was sanding but didn't work completely. May try to stablize the holly next time or use another harder wood. I would like any comments you guys (girls) may have. Let me know what you think. Thanks Tony

Attachments

• picture 1small.jpg
    picture 1small.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Picture 2small.jpg
    Picture 2small.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Picture 3small.jpg
    Picture 3small.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 188
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Nice job on the pens. I will have to say this again because here is another case for learning your tools and not relying on sandpaper. Sandpaper is not the cure all tool when it comes to turning. The cure is tool use and being able to control and use properly. Just like everything in life it takes practice and after awhile becomes second nature. I am not picking on you but this topic came up a few threads ago. He too was getting contamination from one material to the next. I will say again the learning and use of a skew instead of sandpaper will cure alot of your finishing problems. Today the insertion of carbide tools in this hobby has helped also for they too can be used to achieve a finish that is worthy without the use of sandpaper.

I have included a photo of a pen I made some time ago and would never have been able to finish as well as it came out if I did not use the skew to turn it down. No cross contamination at all. The black and white is Holly and Ebony and the red and white is Bloodwood and Maple. 4 woods that would be a bear to sand out with the mixture. Just my opinion and helpful tip.

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0881.jpg
    Copy of IMGP0881.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Copy of Copy of IMGP0892.jpg
    Copy of Copy of IMGP0892.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 141
  • Copy of IMGP0897.jpg
    Copy of IMGP0897.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Copy of IMGP0899.jpg
    Copy of IMGP0899.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 152
John, thanks so much. Just a question. I has both carbides & skews but once you finish with them do you just put the finish on? I hav gotten very smooth wood with the carbids (and skews) but since I was taught tho sand after tooling I still do that and it seems somewhat smother (not alot). This reply has been helpful. thanks tony

jttheclockman

John, thanks so much. Just a question. I has both carbides & skews but once you finish with them do you just put the finish on? I have gotten very smooth wood with the carbids (and skews) but since I was taught tho sand after tooling I still do that and it seems somewhat smother (not alot). This reply has been helpful. thanks tony

Tony, with me no sandpaper touched those pens. I went right from tool to CA and then I micromeshed the finish out. If you want to call micromesh pads sandpaper then that is it. I used a skew. I am pretty efficient with this tool after some practice. Easiest tool to keep sharp too. If when done with the tool why would you need to sand?? You just undone all the work you did with the tool.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I second going from tool to CA when possible.

This idea is not new. For the last few centuries, high quality cabinet/furniture makers used a scraper rather than sandpaper (most did not have sandpaper for that matter) for much smoother finishes than SP could give.

It does take a bit of practice and mental adjustment.

magpens

Like the first one (buckeye) very much !!

The second ... too much discoloration of the holly ... although I suppose you could make a case for gray and black. . Also, the knot portions are misaligned, and I would prefer the knot to be made with thinner material (narrower blade kerf).

Mal, Thanks for the comments. I agree with you on the thickness of the ebony. It was just that that was how I got it and had never made a segmented type of blank. So on the next one I will be planing the ebony down some to give it a better look. Also thanks for the gray/black. I'll tell people that it is gray holly :)) Tony

ajollydds

Tony, good looking pens. I can commiserate with you, my first segmented pen was walnut and maple and the maple turned grey as well. Mine also had fine dust from my bushings mixed in it too.

I learned how to properly sharpen and use a skew and second what these gentlemen said about going straight from tool to finish. If I do need to sand, I don't use bushings anymore.

Keep challenging yourself and keep learning, great job.

Top Bottom