Made another pen with my grandson.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mredburn

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
A couple of weeks ago My oldest grandson (age 14) came by and he and his friend helped with some casting and turning squarish blanks round for me. From 9 in the morning until 9 at night. For his help I let both him and his friend cast their own blanks and make a pen the next day. I let them both make a standard Sierra and they both had a blast. At one time I had 6 or more kids in the shop watching the process.
Today my grandson came over and asked if he could make another pen because he gave his first one to one of his friends. I let him pick a blank from one of my boxes of extras and he chose one that was gold brown and white.
I let him have one of the stainless Liberty kits that I picked up from Lazerline when they had the Bash discount special.
He has made 2 pens prior to tonight. The Sierra and an 8mm Euro about a year ago. In making the prior pens I had not really forced him to adhere to fit and finish. If he said that was good enough I left it at that.
Tonight we put it all together. I was completely hands off on the making of the pen other than to cut the blank to rough length on the table saw. Until his parents tell me its ok with them Im not putting him at risk.

He center drilled the squarish blank and turned it round. Drilled it squared it, and finished the turning. We used a carbide bit on the last 2 passes leaving it .004 proud. and I started him off with 400g sandpaper. I taught him to sand laterely as well showing him how to hold the blank up to the light to see the sanding marks. He Wet sanded with 400 and 600 grits stepped over to 4000 Micro mesh and went through the grits to 12,000. Used the Turtle wax polishing compound for the final pass. This time the blank glowed in the light. A simple assembly and pressed the parts in using the lathe. He is hooked.

Pictures are of him on my two Atlas lathes. The larger one rounding it off and although I have the auto feed set up he would rather turn it by hand.
Then we transfered to the smaller lathe for the rest of the operations. I couldnt get him to stand still long enough to get a good picture of the pen since he was in a hurry to leave before he was late for dinner. :biggrin: Ah growing boys.......

Enjoy
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• taylor pen 1.JPG
    taylor pen 1.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 430
  • taylor pen 2.JPG
    taylor pen 2.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 444
  • taylor pen 3a.JPG
    taylor pen 3a.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 422
  • taylor pen 4-001.JPG
    taylor pen 4-001.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 444
  • taylor pen 3b.JPG
    taylor pen 3b.JPG
    331.2 KB · Views: 440
  • taylor pen 7.jpg
    taylor pen 7.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 424
  • taylor pen 5.JPG
    taylor pen 5.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 430
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

What a terrific way to spend 12 hours, Mike.
Both of you will remember it forever, and to boot he has a Pen he made to remind him.
Well done, to the Both of You

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
The only thing I see wrong is the Gator shirt :eek: Great times with the kids are memories that both will always remember....

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Rick, Your right about safety glasses. I wear glasses all the time so I dont always think about them for others.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Great looking pen. I know he had a good time making it and I know it was a priceless time teaching him. Well done by both.

He did a great job and the time together is priceless. He maybe the one carrying on our passion in the future.

I taught my grandson how to turn a pen before the family was re-stationed to California. He turns with his dad, I am proud of both of them. The time we spent together was great.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Two years ago he asked me "what are you buying me for Christmas? My reply "nothing" His other grandparents gave him everything and I mean everything. They are great people but he was their first grandchild and he is 5 years older than any of the other grandkids they now have. I told him I refuse to try and buy his attention and effection. But I would give him my time and experience when he was ready and wanted to make things. Now that he is 14 and is really interested in what I do I make time to work with him and his friends. When he and his friend helped me 2 weeks ago, I spent a lot of time explaining all the "why we do this", what happens when we do, what happens when we dont, and went over a lot of science and math and chemistry in making blanks.

Hopefully it will continue to excite and intrigue him enough to want to do more. Not just pens but creating with his hands and mind.

TonyL

Imagine all the lessons learned from that single experience. What a wonderful way to spend time with your grandson (or anyone for that matter).

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
This is great Mike. I would love to have been there. Hopefully, we'll be seeing more of his work around here in the future. He has a really good teacher/grandfather. I miss your lessons myself :biggrin:

BJohn

Being a grandfather, this will be a project I will do with my Granddaughter in a couple more years (she is only 3yoa).

But I must agree with an earlier reply 'Safety Glasses'

And the only other issue 'Florida gators T-Shirt' "GO HOGS"

paintspill

that lathe is a beast. i'd love to play with that too, can i come hang out with the other kids.

and please, safety glasses and tuck in that chain around his neck. we want him sharing this with his grandkids.

ashaw

Mike that is the best present you can give to your grandkids. I still remember to this day (and I am 58 ) when my grandfather taught me how to use woodworking tools. Table saw drill press routers and hand planes. He also taught me how to use machinist tools as well. He rebuilt locomotives back in the day for the Penn Center Railroad. He was also an electrician and showed me how to work with and respect not on electricity but all the tools.

You are laying down a legacy that your grandkids will never forget.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
My grandson stopped back in this afternoon with a couple friends in tow. He had to show them all the good stuff he had learned. :biggrin: I let him teach the others the turning and sanding, With safety goggles this time. I let them practice on some that were already turned round to start with. It Seems I may have a pen making class in the next couple of weeks for the neighborhood. I will need to pick up some more safety goggles if I have that many over at once. I will also want to get some more Sierra kits.:bulgy-eyes:

Hendu3270

That is awesome Mike. Teaching a group of young kids a positive skill is a great thing. Just don't start getting thoughts of charging tuition...:biggrin:

Tom T

Just what kids and Grandfathers need. You are setting a great standard for him and his friends.
I keep a very small fan going on my face when turning to keep my safety glasses clear from fog. It hangs about 3 feet behind the lathe.

clieb91

Awesome, glad to see him and his friends involved. Such a great gift to give him. My Grandfather passed away this past year, I lived next door to him until I was 13, I can not for the life of me remember any of the gifts from him or my grandmother but I remember all of the time they gave me and oh so many things that they taught me.

CtL

Top Bottom