MAD watch parts pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Indiana_Parrothead

How many of you remember MAD magazine, or still read it? And the red headed kid that appeared on just about every cover, Alfred E. Neuman. Here is a watch parts pen made from an old MAD watch. "Alfred is all tied up and his leg are the hands of the watch. It even has his favorite saying "What me worry".

This is on a Jr. Gentlemen's II Fountain (postable) Black Titanium.

Thanks for looking
Mike

Attachments

• IAP MAD 1.jpg
    IAP MAD 1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 272
  • IAP MAD 2.jpg
    IAP MAD 2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 216
  • IAP MAD 3.jpg
    IAP MAD 3.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 195
  • IAP MAD 4.jpg
    IAP MAD 4.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IAP MAD 5.jpg
    IAP MAD 5.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I forgot to put that in there. I cast the blank. The tubes were painted and the casting material is epoxy. I wish I could have gotten the face cleaned up a little better, it had some yellowing in spots that would not come out. But it probably is 30 years old..

Mike

seamus7227

Mike, i am slightly confused about your photography? Pic #1 looks fabulous in clarity compared to the others, what did you do different in the others that made them so out of focus? I also noticed that in your other thread. Not trying to sound super critical, but i can tell that you have the ability, just trying to learn what went wrong to cause this?

respectfully submitted

Seamus, you are not being critical at all, I don't like the way some of the pictures turned out either. I am better at turning than I am photography... I am using a Sony DSC H1 that either the camera or the operator is limited, probably the operator. Generally I am a point and shoot type person but with pens you really can't do that. SO I am slowly learning about setting the white balance, speed, apture, etc.

I think what is happening is I have to small a depth of field and the pictures that are blurry are crops of the other photos. And while they a passable by yhem self, as long as you don't blow them up when I cropped them and then blow them up they don't look very good.

I didn't think when I started turning that I would have to learn photography too :( If I learn as much here about photography as I did pen turning maybe I'll get better.

Mike

healeydays

I'm jealous! I've been looking for a couple Alfred E Neuman watches to do that with, but the prices of the watches are nutz lately.

I love what you did and yes the blue really works with it.

Mike B

kirkfranks

I'm jealous! I've been looking for a couple Alfred E Neuman watches to do that with, but the prices of the watches are nutz lately.

I love what you did and yes the blue really works with it.

Mike B

not sure what price you consider nuts but I did look and saw one on eBay today for $35.00 I believe. The disclaimer said the watch would run but not for very long. That of course would not be an issue for this application. That watch did have a round face.

Last edited:
Normally I don't like to pay more than about $8 for a watch and maybe $12-15 if the shipping is included and it is one I really want. I think this one was on the high end $15. Spending $35 is too much, you have why too much tied up in the blank and you can still mess it up at that point. Air bubbles in the casting, tube leaks and get filled up during casting, or get the hands a little high and cut it off during turning, not like I have done this but it could happen ;)

I did pay about $25 for a vintage Hamilton that I have yet to complete. But when it is done it will be for me and have some special meaning.

Chasper

I've seen this pen in person, it is even better than the photo. Mike has some serious talent.

Top Bottom