Mackay Cedar EB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

This piece of cedar is not like our cedar at all, it's tighter grained and a bit harder as well, I was given this wood in a swap with an Aussie gent, and was quite surprised, the pen of course is a REAL Elegant Beauty not the sierra knockoff) it's a piece of Mackay Cedar and is cross cut, I wish I could capture the chatoyance of the wood, it's beautiful. as usual my pictures suck so please feel free to comment and critique the pen Thanks for looking
Ken

Attachments

• Mackay-Cedar-EB1.jpg
    Mackay-Cedar-EB1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 324
  • Macay-Cedar-EB2.jpg
    Macay-Cedar-EB2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Thanks every one, I haven't had much time for pen turning and this trade got my juices flowing. Australia has some of the coolest woods there are, and some of the names are funny as heck like Buggeroo and Dead Finish or Red Lancewood which is actually a beautiful hard wood, I was surprised at how solid and hard this Mackay Cedar was, I'm used to our Cedars and they are nothing alike, not even close, I'd not want to cut cross cut Red Cedar, I don't think it would stay together.

aussieturner

Thanks every one, I haven't had much time for pen turning and this trade got my juices flowing. Australia has some of the coolest woods there are, and some of the names are funny as heck like Buggeroo and Dead Finish or Red Lancewood which is actually a beautiful hard wood, I was surprised at how solid and hard this Mackay Cedar was, I'm used to our Cedars and they are nothing alike, not even close, I'd not want to cut cross cut Red Cedar, I don't think it would stay together.
hi ken
just thought i would have a look at whats happens this side of the pond and noticed you had put up the mackay cedar i sent you and all the other great aussie timbers

aussieturner on IAP
mkypenturner on the aussie forum www.woodworkforums.com
for those looking to see whats happing down under

troy

Top Bottom