M3 "Cobaltium Mokume" Sedona & Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MHKogan

MHKogan

When I am not coming up with new pen blanks for MetalPenBlanks.com or answering your questions about this fascinating new material, I do find some time to turn a few pens myself. Here are 2 pens made out of our newest M3 alloy "Cobaltium Mokume".

I selected the Chrome Sedona and the Gold Baron kits because I think both styles are a little understated which allows the M3 to be the star rather than the pen parts. I also find that the Cobaltium coloring works well with either the gold or the silver pen parts.

Cobaltium Sedona 2.jpg

cobaltium_gold_baron.jpg

I am interested to know which you like better? The first one with the swirly pattern or the second with the wood grain pattern? I look forward to your feedback.

Thank you,
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MHKogan

>>>I'm curious about the finial on the sedona. Could you post a end on pic and tell us a little more about it?<<<

The finial is something that we have been experimenting with and unfortunately I don't have any good pic's of it yet. It is clear and can have small gem stones floated in it.

Mike

Texatdurango

Originally posted by kent4Him

1st one by far. Second one looks too much like just another acrylic blank.
I think they both look like acrylic blanks! The original copper and aluminum looking "Mokume Gane" blanks had a new and different "layered" look but these just have the swirly acrylic look to them. For the price, I would think they would set themselves apart more from the acrylics.

MHKogan

Originally posted by Texatdurango

Originally posted by kent4Him

1st one by far. Second one looks too much like just another acrylic blank.
I think they both look like acrylic blanks! The original copper and aluminum looking "Mokume Gane" blanks had a new and different "layered" look but these just have the swirly acrylic look to them. For the price, I would think they would set themselves apart more from the acrylics.

Unfortunately, the photos do not do the material justice. In person the Cobaltium is a very shiny silver in direct light and a beautiful blue when viewed in indirect light. The photos are just showing the blue without its true vibrancy and color changing qualities.

Mike

BruceK

I like the first one also. So if one participates in the current group buy and purchases the Cobaltium Mokume, which type will be delivered, #1 or #2. Thanks!

MHKogan

Originally posted by BruceK

I like the first one also. So if one participates in the current group buy and purchases the Cobaltium Mokume, which type will be delivered, #1 or #2. Thanks!

At the moment we are making them with the swirl pattern of #1, but the wood grain can be requested. We will be offering both shortly.

jongalt26

Thats a fantastic look for both of them.
The first Pen picture is similar to a billeted / punched style, where the second picture would just be a twisted style showing the grain.
Personally i like the grain look but both are fantastic.
I was just browsing the blanks last night to commission a pen myself.
I have a commissioned Mokume Gane wedding ring and just love the stuff.
I was thinking about asking my guy how much a true Mokume pen blank would be to create, but i know it's going to be crazy expensive
j

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I like the Cobaltium one best, the second one is not as compellingly metallic like some of your other M3 blanks.

Hello

I like them both....but I think I like the 1st one best.
I can see that pen as a JR Emporer FP in a feaux marble pen box with wrought iron feet on the box

Top Bottom