For Lyda

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

Lyda is the daughter of an old friend and is fighting Ewing's Sarcoma. Fortunately the cancer has not attached to her bones so her prognosis is better than most with this pretty nasty cancer. She has started a long stretch of chemotherapy. I decided to send her a pen in the hope that it will give her some positive energy whenever she is down. I used water slide decals to add some positive thoughts on the pen. I hope they do not come across as trite or tacky. Thanks to John (Burlman) for supplying me with a yellow ribbon blank and Ed Brown for giving me a tip on finding the right color. Please say a little prayer for Lyda if you are so inclined.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Cody, great pen and even better message.

Something else you might want to consider, as well as other IAP members, is to turn a wooden dinner plate for someone undergoing chemo. Use a hardwood (maple, birch, etc.) that's not too porous, and just burnish it with the shavings - no finish. When people undergo chemo, all the food they eat tastes metallic if it's eaten off a plastic or ceramic plate. The same goes for the utensils. I have been making these dinner plates for people in our town undergoing chemo, and I purchase some inexpensive wooden utensils on eBay, and the recipients have said that they can actually enjoy their food. I usually burn a ribbon on the back (or smiley face for a child). Our Woodcraft store has been great in donating the wood for the plates.

Prayers sent.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful gesture Cody! And an excellent pen. As you know, the gesture that others care is more important than the object... BUT, the object will take more importance as it becomes a daily reminder that... "others care."

Prayers and thoughts are with her.

Question: How old is she and is she in a location participating/accepting Bowls of Courage?

If so, that chore can be addressed. Send me a PM if this is welcome, or you may be able to be creative. (just a thought).

Mark

Cwalker935

Beautiful gesture Cody! And an excellent pen. As you know, the gesture that others care is more important than the object... BUT, the object will take more importance as it becomes a daily reminder that... "others care."

Prayers and thoughts are with her.

Question: How old is she and is she in a location participating/accepting Bowls of Courage?

If so, that chore can be addressed. Send me a PM if this is welcome, or you may be able to be creative. (just a thought).

Mark

Lyda is in her early 20s. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Bowls of Courage more for children? She is at Bowman Grey at Wake Forest when undergoing treatment, I do not know whether they participate. Thanks for the thought.

Doing some Bowls of Courage are on my list of stuff to do, I do not believe that there are any participating hospitals in the Richmond area. Charlottesville is the nearest to me as far as I can tell.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Cody, yea, the program is more for "Little Nippers."

When you are ready to turn some bowls, let me know and I'll send you some of the beads. They are sold in packets of 25, so I have some ava!

Top Bottom