Lunar Dust

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron Mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

I decided I wanted to come up with a design that felt the same way as the top gold accent on the Imperial style pen.
This is what I came up with. Wood consists of Cobalt Blue dyed maple burl and gold dyed maple burl.
Remember that this was done with only a compound miter saw.

Sorry about the number of pics but you need to see all sides of the cap to appreciate it fully.

lunarsandclosedo.jpg

lunarsandopenfro.jpg

lunarsandopenrso.jpg

lunarsandopenbso.jpg

lunarsandopenlso.jpg

As always comments or concerns welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Ron, that is absolutely stunning. I never thought that a 'loud' material could go with a 'loud' kit. But that just screams at you!!![8D]

I have been mulling over the Ltd Ed Emp that I won, for weeks. I have made the barrels 3 times already, each time trying to find a darker, blander wood so as not to clash with the kit. Maybe I will try the opposite direction now.

johnnycnc

Cool thinking on this idea,Ron.
I had to look a couple times to get the
full effect,and that's some neat work you did
on a great looking pen![8D]

its_virgil

Nice work on the pen as usual. I'm sure seeing the pen in person will make the name more meaningful. I like your idea of naming your pens and you think up some really unique ones. I look forward to seeing it in person in April (maybe).
Do a good turn daily!
Don

angboy

I like it and you did a great job with the design. But I think the good work you did gets kind of lost, with the pattern on the two pieces and the colors being so similar, and I hate to think that that good work might be overlooked or missed by some!

GaryMGg

Ron,

In the second picture it looks like you were emulating the crowns on the cap end.
In the other pics, it's really difficult for me to tell what's going on.
Any chance you can post a movie of that pen cap for better viewing?
If not, after the April gathering IF I pay the shipping and insurance both ways
would you send it to me to look at for one day? [:D]

Gary

Ron Mc

I have to agree with pretty much everyone. My choice of wood type was wrong for this yet in a way it was right.
Gary....When is the gathering in April? I'd be more than happy to send it to you so that you can see it first hand. I'll cover the cost. If your turning event is at the right time I may be able to join you![:D]

randyrathbun

That is very cool! It kind of reminds me of some galena crystals I collected a few months ago from a pile of mine tailings. The look of it is just like that - cubes of galena surrounded by a swirly mass of other rock. Most awesome!

GaryMGg

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />...
Gary....When is the gathering in April? I'd be more than happy to send it to you so that you can see it first hand. ... If your turning event is at the right time I may be able to join you![:D]
Hmmm. I must have misread -- I thought you're involved in a show or gathering in April based on what Cozee at TPS wrote.
However, I'd gladly host a gathering at my farm if it'd bring the likes of folks like you!!! [:D] [;)]

This pen is so intriguing which is why I asked about the movie or seeing it live.
I'll send a PM with my email and find out what's best for you.

Thanks,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom