Lucite El Toro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

I got a couple of sticks of Lucite the other day and this is the first one that I have turned so far. Now I know Anthony is a bad influence!

20064276338_BlueBlackLuciteOpen.jpg

20064276351_BlueBlackLuciteClosed.jpg

The material is the Blue Black lucite and the kit is an El Toro. I have to say that I realy like some of the El Toro features, it is a very easy kit to leave parts off of. Only 4 parts from the kit were used on this pen.

Comments and critiques are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OSCAR15

Go ahead and leave those parts off.....It looks classic without the made in China cheap, plated parts. I think it looks fantastic as is! Is the lucite a hard material to work with? Harder than acrylics?[?]

alamocdc

You did a good job, Mike... but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that shape. Each barrel on its own looks good, but together they just don't seem to flow. But it's early and could be just me. [;)]

Hi Vick,

Oh Boy, now you really have me thinking, technically really great work,,,really nice.....The body and cap shape flow, but I think I agree that they "look" to me in this image like they meet together, rather than compliment each other...Just me, I love the pen![:D]

vick

Originally posted by OSCAR15
<br />Is the lucite a hard material to work with? Harder than acrylics?[?]

I would not call it hard to work with, it does seem to be a little harder than the CSU acrylics that I have used in the past and that made it slightly harder to work but not much. I would call them about the same to work.

Chris - the El toro is a Berea kit it only comes in a fountain pen, I got mine from Mr. Bill.

Thanks everyone for the comments I tend to agree that the way the cap and body meet leaves a little bit ot be desired, but overall I was happy with it. It was meant to be a larger version of the Nakaya Piccolo pen
http://www.nakaya.org/eproduct3.html#wood
and their style is more inline with what most of you are saying about the how the cap and body meets.

Peninhandrjg

WOW! NIce job. Now I know what to do with the El Toro kit I've got. I've made a few before. I like them, although they are a bit short. BTW, If I am not mistaken, the CSUSA Little Havana is the same type of kit. Vick, what did you do to chuck the blanks on the lathe?

vick

Originally posted by Peninhandrjg
<br />WOW! NIce job. Now I know what to do with the El Toro kit I've got. I've made a few before. I like them, although they are a bit short. BTW, If I am not mistaken, the CSUSA Little Havana is the same type of kit. Vick, what did you do to chuck the blanks on the lathe?
For this one I used the tube from an El Presidente and then drill out the body so it will actually fit a conversion pump.

The little havana does appear to be the same kit but I have never used it before so not sure if it applies but often Berea Kit have the parts seperated more so that you get more modification opportunities.

My El Grande pin chuck fit the body perfectly so I used that for the body. I am waiting to get gentlemans tubes in before I send out for a new batch of pin chucks so for the cap I just used a jam chuck for now. I used 3/8 drill rod and glue a piece of maple on it and turned the maple down to the inside diameter of the caps tube. Both the pin and jam chuck were held on my collet chuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom