Lucite Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

I got a little more adventureous with my second Baron. The material is phantom grey lucite and the kit is a chrome baron.

20065561625_LuciteSmokeBaronClosed.jpg

20065561641_LuciteSmokeBaronOpen.jpg

Comments and critiques are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

WOW! That is really nice Mike. Did you color the tubes or the inside of the Lucite or both? I still have some of this material and it is really transparent.

vick

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />WOW! That is really nice Mike. Did you color the tubes or the inside of the Lucite or both? I still have some of this material and it is really transparent.
Tubes?
I decided to try to do this one tubeless. I tried using black nail polish to color the inside of the lucite and was not really happy with it so went back to using black rustoleum paint.

The blue black lucite I used before was not that transparent but this one is very transparent.

Max

Mike,
How did you get the rustoleum paint down into the tubes? Spray/brush/???

and did you use Fangar's pin chuck for this? If so, can you use the same chuck for the pen cap?

Such a great look!!
-Max

vick

Originally posted by Max
<br />Mike,
How did you get the rustoleum paint down into the tubes? Spray/brush/???

and did you use Fangar's pin chuck for this? If so, can you use the same chuck for the pen cap?

Such a great look!!
-Max
I used a BBQ skewer to get the paint in the lucite.
I do not have a fangar pin chuck though i hear excellent things about them. I have several pin chucks that a machineist made for me one of them fits in the baron body. The baron cap and the gentlemans body seems to be about the same ID so if you have a gents pin chuck it may work on the Baron cap. None of mine fit the cap which is a much larger hole and while I ordered 3 new pin chucks for some of my kits yesterday (includeing baron cap\gentlemans body)I did not have the patience to wait. Plus this is a tubeless pen and I modified the threaded insert so that the hole I used for the cap is signifigantly smaller than the normal Baron Cap hole (it was one of the letter sized drills can't remember which).

When I do not have a pin chuck I usually just make a jam chuck. I take a steel rod that is at least 1/8 smaller than the ID of the tube glue a piece of hardwood on it and turn the wood down to the tubes ID (internal diameter), if you go to far build it up with a couple coats of ca. It works very good for larger tubes. For this Baron cap I got lazy and I am suprised this worked as well as it did. I had a piece of drill rod that was just a hair to small for my hole( i think 3/8ths rod) I just put a couple wraps of teflon tape around it to get it to size for a jam chuck, it ran supriseingly true.

vick

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />

How does the pen feel in your hand, is the diffeenece in barrel diameter at the transion to the hardware greater than that of the kit standard?
It is definately a little bigger in the body than a standard baron, I did not measure exactly how much. Even with the mod I did on the cap I needed it a little bigger so the body and cap matched up. Also because it is tubeless I wanted to leave a little more meat on the pen. I think it feels pretty good in the hand but larger transitions usually do not bother me it must be the way I grip the pen or something. I did round the corners where the cap and body meet and I feal that helps with the transition.

dubdrvrkev

Thats pretty sweet Mike.
I think I agree with Anthony. If you need some wood come over and see me, I think I can spare a few blanks. [}:)] Next thing you know you'll have a legacy mill or something. [;)] LOL

vick

I am planning segmented wood for the next one, but plans can change. I have been known to be a little obbsesive and have been trying to get my polishing down for the resins. Oh and the mill does not come till next week[:0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom