Luan Mahogany

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dougle40

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougle40

This pen is turned from a piece of Luan Mahogany that was given to me by a friend who had a table that was to be scrapped . It's been cut at an angle to the grain . The top is the second one , the first blew up on me because I tried rounding the blank at too high a speed .

200512918326_Luan%20Mahogany%20005%20-1%20sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Boy that pen sure does the luan proud as you did!
Normally I consider luan a "throw away wood"
Not that I throw any away, The grain it is normally a boring wood IMHO.
Used mostly for door skins and floor leveling underlayment.
Nice job.

Gary

Very nice Doug, I too didn't know you would be able to show that nice a grain pattern with that wood.

dougle40

Thanks guys , I just couldn't let my friend throw away all that wood and now I'm glad I didn't . This is the first pen I've turned from this wood even though I've had it for over a year . Got lots more too .

low_48

That looks like a fairly shallow angle, but looks perfect!!!!!!! What angle did you use to cut out the blank? That pen is just stunning! Did you put on any stain, or is that the natural color?

Rich

bajacrazy

Wow, this looks great Doug. [8D]

I’ve been occupied with remodeling my new larger office. I was changing out the office door and found a 1-1/4†x 6†x 32†chunk of mahogany. Immediately I ran off too hid this wood in fear that one of my employees would use it or throw it into dumpster.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom