Lowly Slims

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larry in Harrow

I make these slimlines as a revenue source for the Windsor Woodcarving Museum.
This pair are Gun Metal.
1_Crossed-Slimlines_Gun-Metal.jpg

#S028 in a Feebie Blue Stabalized Box Elder Burl blank.
1_S028_Slimline-Gun-Metal_Box-Elder-Burl-Stabalized-Blue.jpg

#S083 is another gift blank, box elder burl from Gofer

1_S083_Slimline-Gun-Metal_Box-Elder-Burl-Gofers.jpg

Both have a CA finish. All sizes were turned using johnycnc's "7mm Triple Play" bushing accessories. All comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

Those have two of the best finishes I have ever seen. Please tell the secret. Beautiful pens, especially the blue one. Both have lots of character. Great work!

Drstrangefart

My wife just saw me scroll past the signiture and asked if those pens were made out of puppies. I've never been more proud.

HAHAHA!!

*snork*

Ok, how do you mount a puppy on a lathe?

Made out of puppies or not, those are some gorgeous pens.

The lathe shouldn't be too much of a problem after the little bugger makes it through the drill press. Just gotta be on the center of gravity and use very sharp tools.

Those have two of the best finishes I have ever seen. Please tell the secret. Beautiful pens, especially the blue one. Both have lots of character. Great work!

I learned a long time ago that everybody has a better CA method than I. I don't like to discuss technique, too many zealots around.
No secret here, just 6 coats of thin CA, sand with 1000 wet/dry, buff, and your done.
Thanks for the compliment.

bitshird

Both are extremely nice, but I favor the blue box elder, great looking pen, By the way did you know that standing on your left foot, on Monday-Wednesday and Saturday with the CA applied with a used checkerboard pattern paper towel will give the best finish in the entire world. The rest of the week you have to stand on the other foot, Both of these are done flamingo style one foot only with the other tucked up under you. Try it see which of us is the craziest ...

Drstrangefart

Sounds like a fairly effective finish. I use that one on some of my own projects. I like 4 coats of thin, 2-4 coats of medium to get the "under glass" look.

See I told you everybody has a better method. :biggrin:

Good sir, nothing in the word says my finish system is better than yours. Particularly considering my method's crippling reliance on CA accelerator to keep me from ruining the finish. Been down that road many, many times.

PenPal

Larry,

Enjoyed seeing your pens, the finish is great the features are outstanding.

I hasten it is against the law in this country to mount animals especially on a lathe the RSPCA then become part of the equation. My vivid imagination tells me you already knew this.

CA is a great leveler, can be downright humbling and I agree one mans way is anothers downfall but the general principal is do it your way like Frank Sinatra said.

By the way Puppies come in pairs sometimes I have heard remarked.

Your pens are exciting cause they are different, no such item as just a.....

Regards Peter.

Drstrangefart

Yeah. We hadn't got around to waxing philosophical over the legality of turning puppies on the lathe. Gonna have to leave those jobs up to rogue pen turners that work in alleys and sleasy dive bars. The good ole pen turning black market.

phil

never turned an animal before, but i have been known to say,"lets mount them puppies on the lathe and see what they look like on the inside!"

Excellent pens by the way. ive got some purple stabalized box elder burl on deck for the lathe. Never turned it before, but im looking forward to it now after seeing yours!

Phil

Drstrangefart

never turned an animal before, but i have been known to say,"lets mount them puppies on the lathe and see what they look like on the inside!"

Excellent pens by the way. ive got some purple stabalized box elder burl on deck for the lathe. Never turned it before, but im looking forward to it now after seeing yours!

Phil

Never saw what puppies look like on the inside. Now my dog's a few years old. Guess I dropped the ball on that one.

CaptG

Awesome looking pens. Does the lower barrel rest flush on the upper, or is the upper barrel counter bored with the lower barrel tucked in a bit? Oh ya, the finish is superb also.

ctubbs

Those are some wonderful pens, made from puppies or not. I really like no CB on them, the pens, not the puppies. Larry, yo did do one fine finish on both the pens. Outstanding work.
Charles

Froggy

Those are both beautiful pens!

BTW: I've heard that if you freeze your puppies (or kittens) first, they are easier to turn. Plus they don't squeal as much.:befuddled:

Chris

Drstrangefart

BTW: I've heard that if you freeze your puppies (or kittens) first, they are easier to turn. Plus they don't squeal as much.:befuddled:

Chris

I think soaking them in CA would also do the job, but freezing them seems so darn convenient. I can't help but wonder if this conversation will leave me one day talking to authorities going "Dude, I can totally explain that....":biggrin:

ctubbs

Chris
That is a good idea, but how do you keep them from warping as they freeze?:eek::rolleyes:
Charles

MatthewZS

robutacion

I make these slimlines as a revenue source for the Windsor Woodcarving Museum.
This pair are Gun Metal.

Both have a CA finish. All sizes were turned using johnycnc's "7mm Triple Play" bushing accessories. All comments are welcome.

Oh boy oh boy Larry, what a finish...!:wink:

Talking about imagination, I keep going back and read "I make these slimlines...!" and I wonder, what else can one do with a slimline kit...???:eek:

That style pen, particularly the top barrel design I have seen made in/with other kits but if I recall correctly, these are the first I saw made from a slimline kit so, the reason to my amazement...!:wink:

And you are absolutely right, everyone has their own CA finish method and there is always the "argument" put by some that "mine is better than yours" but in my view regarding your CA method, it works for you, regardless who invented it, totally irrelevant, and that's what count for you.

On the other hand, there are many people out there desperately trying to learn the CA finish method or trying to find the one that works for them, having these people in mind, I like to share whatever I found that works for me so that they can try it and maybe or maybe not, be something that will suit them...! I don't really care about what others may thing of how I do it and how "they" will classify it among other possibilities, that is playing politics (a better OZ word would be playing silly buggers...!).

In all, I reckon that you have a heck of a pair of pens made there mate, and I'm please to know that Bruce's arms did rich that far with his Box Elder, generous bloke, ain't he...???:cool:

Take care

Cheers
George

Top Bottom