Lowly oak slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A while back I built some kitchen cabinets and got the lumber from a local cabinet door supplier.
He's got a fairly large operation but always treated me like one of his "big" customers.I need to pick up some hard wood for a project I am working on and I only need some off cuts.(Don't have room to store much of anything else)
Anyway I thought I would give him this as a way of saying thanks for making me feel like he really wanted my business.
The wood for the cabinets?
Oak of course!I beilive this is white oak but I don't know where I got it.
I used red for the cabinets.(I hope it's not a pallet I cut up)
Cut on the bias pretty steep angle.
Upper blank was parted off and cross grain CB glued on and finished.
Mylands sealer, polish , And LOU's stuff.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Very nice, Eagle. Frankly, I would not call it lowly, it is a very nice pen. I am sure the recipient will like it very much and appreciate your gesture!

This is one of my favorite shapes for the slimline because it has the look of the more expensive European kits.

opfoto

Nice looking pen. I never thought a pallet could look that good. Should be very thankful that you took the time to remember him with such a gift!!!

KKingery

Nice job Eagle! I especially like what you did with the centerband area. Good contrast. I make alot of Red Oak slimlines myself, and after seeing this, I think I will "borrow" your idea!

G

Thanks Fred I think I've made about 150 slim lines since I started making pens in June and I can count on one hand the wasp waists and skinny Cross Styles
Yep Ryan those are burn lines.Hit it with the tip of the skew
Shane I used a guitar string.
I used to play in bars and never threw out the .009 for the octave of the 4 th(G) string
Tip et al I very rarely buy 3/4x3/4 x6"blanks.
It's the most expensive way to buy wood and you are letting someone else have a big say in the final look of that which you are creating.
I normally have3/4 stock on hand .Maybe not so much in exotics but plenty of Walnut cherry and maple,Bocote, cocobolo,mahogany.
there are too many long grain pens in the world,I like to make mine look different.
Cutting on the bias will provide blow outs and catches more often than a straight grain pen but the end results are worth it.
If you were making a piece of furniture, would you let the guy at the lumber yard match you stock for your glue-ups or would you painstakingly take the time to look at the wood and match up your self?
That's the idea of cutting on the bias and not buying precut blanks.
Thats also why I experiment with laminations CB's and materials for pens.Mine have to be different.
If you have a blank supplier you are happy with and trust, that's good, he or she worked hard for their reputation.It's the major chains that just hire a guy to hack up some wood and stick it in a bag that prompted me to start buying larger pieces and cutting my own blanks.
Tom-My title "lowly oak slimline" was written tongue in cheek.I think this is the second oak pen I have ever turned(this first was a skinny Cross Style that blew out) It is an overlooked,economical wood especially if it came off a pallet.
I wish there was a Parker style refill pen that provided as much versatility and Customization as the slimlineManged to sneak that in Marc
JohnDeereI'm sure that design isn't mine,except for maybe the "bump at the bottom.I'll bet Russ has one like it on his site,(Except for the "bump")
Ken I have used that CB "cross cut" on a lot of my pens,including the antler.
What do you do with that inch of blank when you cut,
Throw it away?
Wasteful, you should be ashamed of yourself.there's normally enough left for at lest a CB or finial.
What's neat is when someone asks you what the CB is and you explain that it's the same wood cut differently.
Then you start to explain chatoyance they get impressed
Thanks Dale, coming from you I take that as an extreme compliment
I appreciate the time you took to remrk on the "lowly slimline"

bajacrazy

Great looking pen Eagle.[8D]Can’t believe what people use when making pallets. I have a number of them made out of cherry and oak.[:0]

G

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Great pen eaglesc. Pallet[?]
Still not sure.
I know what I bought the red oak for and I haven't built anything out of white oak.
I did take an oak pallet apart and run it through the planer a while back so that is the only white oak I may have on hand.
I grabbed the piece of oak with out paying attention and turned the pen.
After I finished it I compared it to the cabinets and the color wasn't even close.
That got me wondering if it was the same stuff.
That's when I got to wondering if it was from the old pallet.[^]

Fleabit

My first sell was a "lowly" oak slimline pencil. I actually like the looks of oak and this one of yours is very nice!! The center band compliments it greatly. Nice work!

woodscavenger

If you look around near motorcycle/atv shops they have some pretty impressive pallat/packaging containers. Who cares? Well a couple of years ago I found some interesting darker hardwoods of unknown origin in some fairly large sizes. I used them for some trinket boxes. I had nearly forgotten about them as a source. Happy dumpster diving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom