The Lowest of the Lows?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from papaturner

papaturner

Would this be considered the absolute lowest? It`s a lowly Slimline,24 k gold, wrapped in lowly Southern yellow pine,with a CA finish. Total cost without labor about 2 Bucks.:biggrin: Comments welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0431.JPG
    IMG_0431.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 331
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Would this be considered the absolute lowest? It`s a lowly Slimline,24 k gold, wrapped in lowly Southern yellow pine,with a CA finish. Total cost without labor about 2 Bucks.:biggrin: Comments welcome.
No.... the lowest of the low would have a friction polish, you bumped it up a few notches with a CA finish! :)

Nice job, I think we all too soon get wrapped up in the fancier, larger kits and forget how nice a simple pen can be without using a $25 blank or $35 kit.

MarkHix

Nice looking pen but I think George may be wrong. You are two steps up, the bottom rung is wax.

I turn alot of Barons/Sedona's but my favorite is the comfort.

redfishsc

No.... the lowest of the low would have a friction polish, you bumped it up a few notches with a CA finish! :)

Nice job, I think we all too soon get wrapped up in the fancier, larger kits and forget how nice a simple pen can be without using a $25 blank or $35 kit.

Yup... friction polish (or the ever-famous linseed oil, some folks think it's the best since that's supposedly what they used "way back when").

Very nice work. I am making a pen tonight from old growth pine that came from a Confederate Civil War post (well, a house turned into a post). I forget the name of the commander, but the guy I am making this for is a descendant of his.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
You could have just rubbed a candle on it instead of CA or a friction polish, instead you actually made a nice looking low cost pen.

Mac

I think you missed some hidden cost there!!
unless you turned it at someone elses (shop )using all their (tools )(electric)

(shipping on anything you used)

(hobby expense )and that could break the bank right there or (inventory)

Oh nice pen I like slimelines but not the refills that come with them
It is a versatile pen all bullet pens use them ,they can be shorten or lenghten or made with one long piece instead of two not using centerband.they have the largest selection of clips. I think versatile(skillfully adaptable) fits it well!! even if it does sometimes have FP on it.

ldb2000

Never think that the slimlines are the lowest of the pens we make . They are THE most versitile pen kits on the market and make for some beautiful pens ... like yours . Nice piece of timber and great fit and finish .

traderdon55

The lowest of the low is something you slap together in a hurry just to say you made something and it comes out looking like crap. When you take time to make a pen that looks as nice as this one I would be just as happy with it as I would one made from a high end kit.

keithlong

Great looking pen, I love em too. I have made several antler and rifle cartridge pens using the slimline kits. I sell several of them.

Rollerbob

This has been an interesting thread. Almost as if we were ashamed to turn one or something. This may cause a resurrection of the slmline! Nice work, BTW!:wink:

bitshird

I have a lot of pen inventory, but for every pen I sell priced over 45.00 (cigars) then up to 200.00 I'll sell 5 or 6 lowly slimlines, but I do finish them with either CA or BLO/CA. it really is the most versatile pen around, and your little pine beauty looks great

Texatdurango

Personally I don't mind the size of the slimline at all, it's just not a pen I want to sell because of the cheaply plated parts.

Does any kit offer decent plated parts or am I just ignoring all Slimlines base on my experiences with a few?

papaturner

Thanks for all the comments. I too like the slimline all my ideas for pens start with the slimline. I even made a couple today.:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0433.JPG
    IMG_0433.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 108
Top Bottom