Lou's Cross

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sprung

Sprung

I was fortunate to be able to purchase two inlaid cross blank sets from Jon Piper when he was selling some of Lou Metcalf's pen turning supplies after Lou passed away. I hope I did this one right by Lou!

Bloodwood with a Bethlehem Olivewood cross. Chrome Sedona kit. CA finish.

This was a gift for my dear wife, who puts up with a lot from me. She loves it, which makes me happy!

I have one more set - Bethlehem Olivewood with a Bloodwood cross - for a Jr. Gent II series pen that I will be making into a pen for myself. My wife and I will have an inverse matched set, which is very befitting of the two of us.

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Beautiful job on this special pen Matthew!
Nice that it was given as a gift instead of being sold to whomever....and that you will have the other companion pen!

Sprung

Thank you, everyone!

Nice that it was given as a gift instead of being sold to whomever....and that you will have the other companion pen!

Yes, some things are better not sold! When I purchased the two blank sets, it was with the intention that these pens would never be sold, but would belong to my wife and I.

This will be a wonderful set. The simple cross inlay is a striking image.

Agreed - it is very striking and classy. And fitting for my wife and I - I am a pastor and she's a pretty awesome wife and mother and pastor's wife. I still need to purchase a kit so I can get mine completed and make it a complete set. I like how both will have the same two woods, but will be inverse of each other for a unique set.

Although I do not know for certain, it is most likely that the blank was made by Eagle. Lou turned pretty pens-Eagle made great blanks, innovative, at the time>

Ed, that does help clarify these two blanks I have a little. Obviously they were from Lou's collection of blanks, but I wasn't sure if they were made by Lou or if they had been made by Eagle. Lou and Eagle were both from before my time turning pens, but I've enjoyed looking back at their work and postings and learning from the both of them.

OZturner

A Most Spectacular, and Fitting Pen, Mathew,
The Vision of the "Foil and Counter Foil" of the Reverse Pens, is Inspiring.
And Obviously so Appropriate.
Outstanding Blank, Glorious Fit and Finish.
Congratulations, and all Success with your Blank.
Brian.

Last edited:
Top Bottom