Lotus and Stainless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gawdelpus

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Made up this Lotus in Rhodium and black titanium ,with my stainless cast bodies. I hope he likes it because I do hehe.

from this
fromthis.jpg

to this
tothis.jpg

tothis2.jpg

this3.jpg

Cheers ~ John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

John

I have looked at that kit. How did you like that kit??? Any problems with it??? Where did you get it from??? Oh by the way nice job with the casting. You got that down to a science. You going to start offering the blanks for sale???? Thanks for showing.

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
John

I have looked at that kit. How did you like that kit??? Any problems with it??? Where did you get it from??? Oh by the way nice job with the casting. You got that down to a science. You going to start offering the blanks for sale???? Thanks for showing.

JT ,no problems with the kit itself.if I had to nit pick I would say that the transition from body to the cap finial is just slightly sharp to the finger, centre and nib end are fine , its a big pen and quite heavy ,but designed as non postable so ok to write with, has the bigger nib but seems to be a quality product. On a par with the Majestics as to size and weight,but only from memory as I don't often do these high end kits :). It does seem a bit more subtle than some of its counterparts though. I got a couple to try from CUSA on runout ,think they may be all gone at the price they were offering ,in AU they go for $79 AU just a bit pricy :).
As to the stainless still trying to find all the kits they will work on ,Neil (dai-sensei) is working on them as well so may come up in time with some more workable system to produce at a reasonable price, whatever that may be hehe. At the moment a PITA to produce as one offs .He has posted some elegant beauties and cigars elswhere on the forum, even added color hehe. Because of the thickness of the braid on top of the tube you need a more meaty kind of kit to work at all,
hope that helps a bit ,cheers ~ John

jttheclockman

JT ,no problems with the kit itself.if I had to nit pick I would say that the transition from body to the cap finial is just slightly sharp to the finger, centre and nib end are fine , its a big pen and quite heavy ,but designed as non postable so ok to write with, has the bigger nib but seems to be a quality product. On a par with the Majestics as to size and weight,but only from memory as I don't often do these high end kits :). It does seem a bit more subtle than some of its counterparts though. I got a couple to try from CUSA on runout ,think they may be all gone at the price they were offering ,in AU they go for $79 AU just a bit pricy :).
As to the stainless still trying to find all the kits they will work on ,Neil (dai-sensei) is working on them as well so may come up in time with some more workable system to produce at a reasonable price, whatever that may be hehe. At the moment a PITA to produce as one offs .He has posted some elegant beauties and cigars elswhere on the forum, even added color hehe. Because of the thickness of the braid on top of the tube you need a more meaty kind of kit to work at all,
hope that helps a bit ,cheers ~ John

Have you put them on a standard sierra??? If so I would think that is about as thin as it gets except those new diva kits from psi. Would not want to see it on a slimline.

Freethinker

Fantastic pen, great execution.

Do you have lot of trouble cutting through the steel braid --after it's poured-- without it fraying or raveling too much?

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Fantastic pen, great execution.

Do you have lot of trouble cutting through the steel braid --after it's poured-- without it fraying or raveling too much?

No problem cutting after pouring, just have to keep the heat out of it I have tried a small friction cutoff wheel ,the type that goes in an angle grinder,works but not great :( My friend Neil (dai-sensei ) has tried his carbide drop saw, and a metal cutting blade in his jig-saw , I mainly use a small bench top bandsaw with a 1/4 wood blade, will try and get a metal cutting blade to suit. You could cut by hand with a hacksaw though, I have been trimming on a sanding disk on my sander ,but again a carbide trimming cutter for blanks has been mentioned as well, main thing is gently gently and cool as needed, dipping in water won't hurt the brass stainless or acrylic :) I just slide the braid over the tube with enough left over so you will have clean ends when trimmed no gluing of tubes and so far I have only done normal pours no pressure and no critical air bubbles inside the casting . Bottom line here is anyone with normal skills can do these if they want to nothing special needed at all. cheers ~ John

hewunch

That is really cool. What is the stuff above the braids in the cast picture? And where are you finding the braids?

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Thank you all for the kind comments :) I have been playing around with clear or embedded casting for a few months,started with "glitter" went on to painted tubes and stickons from the dollar shops ,also doing the water slide decals ,seemed less trouble than labels hehe,

Hewunch the material in the first picture is some (offcut pink ivory) to fill the mold a bit and save wasting resin as the mold is designed for full length blanks and the combined length of the two for the Lotus was a bit long. The material is braided water pipe fittings from the hardware store initially,Had to cut on the corner of my grinding wheel part way till it hits the rubber and cuts all the stainless strands,need to cut at least 1/2 inch longer than the tube as once its taken off the rubber tubing it can change size and length with the stresses removed.

JT . Still trying to find all the kits this is practical on .mostly relative to the thickness of material from the tube to the fittings ,here's a picture of my first try on a sierra ,chrome and gunmetal ,lucky I got a picture as I can't seem to hang on to these very long hehe ! cheers ~ John

Braided2.jpg

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Thanks John. That is the kit I am putting my first one on so that I now knoow it will work or else I would have to go to the Vista. I still might not sure yet because I like the black to break up all that silver. Good job with it. I hope mine come out as well.

bitshird

That is a very striking pen, I have a Lotus and like it for a desk pen, not something I carry, the Stainless braid looks great with the Black TI. Nice work with a difficult material.

gad5264

Count me in as a buyer if these blanks hit the market.....I work for a compay that welds nothing but stainess steel pipe and we use flex hose like this in our weldments. These would go over big time with our Engineers.

Top Bottom