Lots of holes!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodChucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

This was the first time I've turned stabilized buckeye burl. Man, this stuff had holes all over the place. I almost gave up on it when I started seeing the brass tube in several spots, but I stuck it out and it turned out pretty good. I sure used a lot of CA glue and wood chips/dust to fill the holes. Is this normal for it to have that many holes? Anyway, another Statesman Jr rollerball to add to my collection. :) Thanks for looking!
BuckeyeBurl.jpg

R.T.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkirkb94

Hey R.T., this was a good chance to use those holes to an advantage. Add inlay material. Turquoise, lapis, abalone sea shell, etc. Check out Bill's and Craft Supply for ideas. I have used material from both. I almost look forward to voids in wood now. One of the neat things about Buckeye!. Use a small Dremel tool and a very fine bit to open up small holes. Kirk[8D] BTW your pen looks great. I do understand the hassel it is to do Buckeye. It's worth it though[:D]

PenWorks

Looks good RT. Lots of different colors and patterns. I have real good luck with stab buckeye burl. ussually hardly any voids and turns like a dream because of the stabilization. chalk it up to your good luck. Anthony

WoodChucker

Thanks guys, well one nice thing about it, I was able to use up some of the left over saw dust for a change. [:D]

R.T.

wayneis

R.T. Inlace is a good choise but just remember that a little goes a long way. A couple voids in the right place filled with inlace I believe adds a nice touch, but if you were to fill each hole than from my experence, it's too much. I did a stabilized Cotton Wood Burl that had a lot of holes and I used inlace in too many of them and it really took away from what would have been a beautiful pen.

And as far as having holes in stabilized wood blanks, there a couple of woods that usually has quite a few at least in the blanks that I've had. Like I said cotton wood burl is one, then there is elm burl and I've got some redwood burl that has holes but for some reason I have'nt seen any holy buckeye burl.

Wayne

WoodChucker

Thanks Doug, yeah it turned out better then I thought it would, once again counting to 10 paid off. [:D]

Wayne, I'll have to pick up some of that stuff and give it a try. Like you said, on this one I think it would have hurt the looks of it more then help it, just because of how many holes there were. Anyway, thanks for your tip!

R.T.

C_Ludwigsen

COFFEE!!! I have been using coffee to fill voids since hearing about it on another board. I usually grind it finer with a burnisher against the lathe bed. Then fill the void and saturate with thin CA.

Besides, it will make you write faster [;)]

mike_l

Awesome looking pen. I can appreciate the work and patience it took to finish it. Well worth it.
I'll have to give that coffee trick a try soon. [:)]

Mike L

WoodChucker

Thanks Mike & Ken, I guess I made it sound like it was a lot harder then it was. More then anything, I was just shocked at how many holes there were. It took a little longer then normal, but to tell ya the truth it really wasn't that bad. So if you come across one like that, don't give up on it, you can do it if I can. [;)]

Lou, at first I wanted to say "OK, where's the punch line?" lol. But it sounded like you really meant it, which I really appreciate, because your one of the many turners on this forum that I look up to for the high quality of work you guy's do. If I had a fraction of the talent that some of you do, I'd be a happy camper for sure.

I have a long ways to go before I'm anywhere near as good as you and several of the others here, but one thing is for sure, I also wouldn't even be where I'm at if it weren't for all of you. So the real thanks goes to not only you, but to all the members, even the new guys asking questions can be a big help at times.

But the best thing about the guys & gals here, is that they really want to help and never make anyone feel stupid for asking a question. It's a great forum and I truly enjoy being a part of it.

Thanks again,

R.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom