Lots of glue (picture heavy)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skewer

Skewer

I really enjoyed making this pen and wanted to share some more pictures of the process and pen itself. I was trying out pinterest and ran across a bowl someone made from a book with open pages cast in resin. Sometime closer to the contest, I was at the used book store and walked by the comic book section, and thought I would try my hand at something similar. When I got home and started cutting up the comic book, my 5 year old son didn't understand and was very upset. "Dad you aren't supposed to do that with books!" I've not seen another pen like it, and I'm interested to know if anyone else has - it's hard to think of things that haven't been done before.

MPxIo29l.jpg

z4ZznFpl.png

Ub9OSatl.jpg

NJ3Bsx7l.jpg

apggYMml.png

zPNke6kl.png

ZLU1IAHl.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Great concept. I have seen this done with materials such as jeans and also wood layers but not magazines. That is a lot of glue. What glue did you use???

Skewer

Thanks, Guys.

Great concept. I have seen this done with materials such as jeans and also wood layers but not magazines. That is a lot of glue. What glue did you use???

Titebond Translucent wood glue between each page to form the 'bricks,' then clamped to dry. After it dried, it was stabilized in cactus juice. It swelled quite a bit in stabilization. For the bottom section, i just used CA to wrap it onto the tube, then cactus juice. As i got it down turned down to size, i soaked in thin CA - it was still very 'dry' and soaked it up.

Top Bottom