Lots of Firsts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jlmort1980

jlmort1980

Ok, so here is one I finished last night and had a lot of firsts for me. First of all, this is my first Designer style pen I have made. Second, this is the first time I have tried making my own blank. And third, this is my first time working with leather. Forth, this is my first time playing with the camera to try and get that "perfect" picture. And to make things even worse, this is only my second attempt at a CA finish. Tell me what you think.

Ok, this is a Designer pen in Satin pearl plating from Woodturningz and the blank is 3 different colored leathers stacked that I created.

Attachments

• Leather1.jpg
    Leather1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Leather2.jpg
    Leather2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 171
  • Leather3.jpg
    Leather3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 154
  • Leather4.jpg
    Leather4.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 142
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I really like the look of the blank, and congratulations completing so many 1st at one time. I've seen a few of the leathers done and might have to give it a try after seeing yours.

jttheclockman

Ok, so here is one I finished last night and had a lot of firsts for me. First of all, this is my first Designer style pen I have made. Second, this is the first time I have tried making my own blank. And third, this is my first time working with leather. Forth, this is my first time playing with the camera to try and get that "perfect" picture. And to make things even worse, this is only my second attempt at a CA finish. Tell me what you think.

Ok, this is a Designer pen in Satin pearl plating from Woodturningz and the blank is 3 different colored leathers stacked that I created.

Lets ask you

What do you think of what you did and what do you think of your photos??? :)

jlmort1980

Lets ask you

Well, I will be honest, this is the first pen that I have done that I am actually happy with. First of all, it was fun and a challenge. I like how all the parts met together just the way they were supposed to. The CA finish turned out well considering my first try was a total disaster. And I really like the pictures. SO, I think all and all, it was a sucess.

BigguyZ

Very nice pen. I think the photos can be improved on, however. Personally, the background makes everything seem much too yellow-y. I doubt the true color/ tone of the finish is represented here. I'd reccomend trying different lights and a different background and seeing how that affects the color tone of the picture.

The fit and finish looks good, but the picture just doesn't do it justice, IMHO.

turbowagon

The pen came out really nice! I think you can improve the photos by trying out different white balance settings on your camera. I tried correcting the color in one of your pics using post processing, but your results would probably be better if you can adjust it on the camera:

Leather2_mod.jpg

jttheclockman

Lets ask you

Well, I will be honest, this is the first pen that I have done that I am actually happy with. First of all, it was fun and a challenge. I like how all the parts met together just the way they were supposed to. The CA finish turned out well considering my first try was a total disaster. And I really like the pictures. SO, I think all and all, it was a sucess.

Well Jim you got past the first test in any project we do. If you like it then that is all that matters. Now if you are asking for outside opinions the biggest negative I see and will affect how we view the work is the photos need work. The lighting is not correct and I am sure there will the experts that can pinpoint exactly what is wrong. But the photos are way too yellow tinted. Outside of that the fit and finish look good from what we can see. Again you are the one holding the pen and photos can fool us.

Thanks for showing and welcome to the world of spinning things. Hope to see more.

jlmort1980

Ok, I tried a couple more photos, they are a little bit better I think, not as much yellow. I think its my lights that are doing that. What do you think? I know I need to clean the black leather a little bit more (just ignore that for now LOL)

Attachments

• leather11.jpg
    leather11.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 91
  • leather22.jpg
    leather22.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 98
  • leather33.jpg
    leather33.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 90

Rangertrek

The pens looks great. Nice work on the leather.
Personal opinion, the photo background is too busy and distracting from the pen. I would try a single color background that will showoff the pen.

PenMan1

I'm with Joe! I love the pen, but the photo makes me dizzy. Not being critical, because my photos are worse. Joe's photo really shows off the excellent workmanship on this pen.

Nice work! Maybe we can be classmates in photo school!

jlmort1980

I'm with Joe! I love the pen, but the photo makes me dizzy. Not being critical, because my photos are worse. Joe's photo really shows off the excellent workmanship on this pen.

Nice work! Maybe we can be classmates in photo school!

Only if its a "Photography for Dummies" class!!! :eek:

Top Bottom