A lot is going on in there!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

Here is some afzelia xylay, this particular wood has lots of twists and chatoyance, to me it has a 3D pattern. I have done a few pens with that wood and this one is done right.

This wood has a lot of cavities so to be done perfectly in my opinion the pores should be sanding dust free and filled with CA so the wood shows some depth, took me 30 coats with LOTS of sanding to level the finish. :)

Anyone else worked with that wood?

As always, thanks for looking and clicky the thumbnails!!! :)

Charles

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

Beautiful wood with great execution! Thirty coats of CA? Sounds like a french polish finish. I have turned a couple these blanks but not the quality of yours. It's just hard to find.

Charles - Yes, I've done afzelia and I really like it. I did a couple burls and they kind of reminded me of amboyna burl, albeit maybe not as "hard" - a wee bit. And also I love the color - not as dark as amboyna. Maybe I'm a lucky guy - didn't have the voids you mention. Wonderful work! Finish is executed flawlessly.

CharlesH

Charles - Yes, I've done afzelia and I really like it. I did a couple burls and they kind of reminded me of amboyna burl, albeit maybe not as "hard" - a wee bit. And also I love the color - not as dark as amboyna. Maybe I'm a lucky guy - didn't have the voids you mention. Wonderful work! Finish is executed flawlessly.

Afzelia Burl is very different than Afzelia Xylay, the grain is different. :)

Charles

broitblat

I've done a number of Xylay pieces, but they don't all turn out as nice as that! It must be the execution -- your work is always outstanding.

-Barry

SDB777

Got say, wish I was your supplier of CA...I could retire.

Thirty coats is insane awesome! You must be a very patient individual to put that may coats of CA on a pen.....:eek:

The timber texture reminds me on a piece of near the bark inclusion with the swirling and openness of the pours. Do you use a high pressure air nozzle to get the 'crud' out of the pours before going on to the perfection finish?

Scott (
bowkneelsuckers.gif
) B

CharlesH

Yes I use my air compressor to get rid of that sanding dust, it's a must! :)

I really like that animated gif you had in your signature!!! :)

C

Thirty coats is insane awesome! You must be a very patient individual to put that may coats of CA on a pen.....:eek:

The timber texture reminds me on a piece of near the bark inclusion with the swirling and openness of the pours. Do you use a high pressure air nozzle to get the 'crud' out of the pours before going on to the perfection finish?

Scott (
bowkneelsuckers.gif
) B

SDB777

Yes I use my air compressor to get rid of that sanding dust, it's a must! :)

I really like that animated gif you had in your signature!!! :)

C

Scott (
bowkneelsuckers.gif
) B

T'was very necessary for this one!

Feel free to copy/paste it into your photobucket account...and use it when necessary.

Scott (bow before the master finisher-guy) B

wizard

Charles, I have never heard of nor seen that wood before. But that pen is stunning!! The finish is unreal! Doc:)

Top Bottom