Lord Robert Baden-Powell Oak Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mraynes24

mraynes24

Hi guys,

Back again with another pen that is near and dear to me.

I was graciously donated a piece of timber that came from a tree in Gilwell Park Scout Camp, located in Gembrook, Victoria, Australia. It was planted by Lord Robert Baden-Powell (founder of Scouting), in 1935, on his one and only trip to Australia. The jamboree was held in Frankston, but after the Jamboree a group of scouts hiked from Frankston to Gembrook, to what is now known as Gilwell Park.

Having been involved with Scouting for almost 25 years now, the symbolism to me and my family of this is amazing. I know its just a cigar pen, but I am quite happy with the result.

Finished with a BLO/CA combination

Hope you enjoy

Cheers,

Ryan

Attachments

• BP Pen.jpg
    BP Pen.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 324
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Great looking pen. I was actively involved in Scouting for over 10 years and know a lot of folks that would cherish a pen made from a piece of a tree planted by Lord Baden-Powell.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The usually disregarded Oak makes a very attractive pen in my opinion! Well done, and a great story.

Beautiful job.

OZturner

Great Pen and Blank, Ryan.
Also a former 20 year Scouter,
I share your Enthusiasm of such a Special Piece of Wood.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Just a thought, if you have another piece, why not apply a Water Slide Decal on to the Blank, with a print of your choice.
Congratulations,
Brian.

mraynes24

Thanks all for the kind words!!

I do have some more of this timber and i plan on doing a few as gifts to leaders from my scout group that receive their wood badges, will probably do some for Queen Scout awardees too. With these i plan on doing some banding in the group colours from our scarf/necker, along with the colour of the section, they receive them for, i.e. Tan - Joeys, Yellow - Cub Scouts, Green - Scouts, Maroon - Venturers, Red - Rovers. Probably with some waterslide decals thrown on as well.

My only issue is what materiel to do the colours from, so far i thought of colour plastic sheets, or even bits cut from sauce bottles and other plastic food containers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Larryreitz

That is one nice looking pen and an even better story. It sure does not surprise me that a number of those commenting look back on Scouting as an important part of their lives as it certainly was a major factor in who I became as an adult. I also still have my OA sashes and Neckerchiefs-- Ordeal, Brotherhood, and Vigil.
Larry R.

triw51

I also am a Scout, went up through the ranks and became a Scout Master. I had a first addition book by Lord Baden-Powell I picked up years ago while in college. Lost it in one of my many moves but you did a great job and the story is fantastic. Keep up the great work.

RobS

Love it, great job.
Eagle Scout, and current Merit Badge Counselor, I know a lot of people who'd pay for that baby.
Well done.
:biggrin:

Top Bottom