Lord of the Rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

This is a follow up to my Rotating Rings. Each ring is 90 degrees from its neighbor just like on that one but there are a lot more. Just cutting and glueing took me the better part of a day. Then I was absolutely petrified while I drilled it and even more petrified when I started turning it. The wood is Western Maple, Bloodwood and Satine finished with 3 coats of sanding sealer then MM to 12000 and 3 coats of lacquer.

This is what it looked like before I started turning it.

200512123913_RingsBefore.jpg

And two views of the finished product

200512123107_RingsView1.jpg

2005121231037_RingsView2.jpg

I'm not sure I'm going to do any more of these for a while.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

WoW! That is one glued up blank! I like the idea but it may have gotten to close near the middle of the pen.

A+ for effort!

gerryr

Because they're hard.[:(] More than once I would get it glued and it looked good on the side I could see, but the opposite side didn't match correctly. But mainly because this was an idea I got and I don't want to beat it into the ground. I need to come up with another idea.

Round and round she goes and where she stops, nobody knows. Great looking design. and to have the rings continue from top blank to lower blank gives it a real spectacular look.

Ron Mc

Very well done! This type of blank takes a huge amount of time and thought!

ldimick

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Nice idea; but maybe just a hair too much of a good thing? A little too busy for my taste. Perhaps a ring or two less so they don't all merge together??

I agree with Randy, but to offer a different suggestion, how about smaller (narrower) rings? I think that would make it less busy.

But you're right - the gluing and drying is time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom