Looks Like .................

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

Walnut to me. It is a very heavy and dense wood.

This wood was given to me at last weeks gun show and the guy didn't know what type of wood it is.
I used a piece on this Gun Metal Bolt Action that I plan to give him at the next gun show for the wood he gave me.

Sanded to 400X, buffed with extra fine steel wool, sealed with 4 costs of Thin CA, buffed with extra fine steel wool,
applied 6 coats of MINWAX WBOM Polyurethane using my "Dipping Method", buffed with extra fine steel wool and polished with Huts Ultra Gloss.

Les

DSC07639Custom.jpg

DSC07643Custom.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Looks like.................................a nice pen to me.:cool:

I agree that it looks like walnut. But most of the walnut I've used isn't all that heavy after it's dry. Iron wood on the other hand is very heavy. But the color doesn't look right to me. I'll never win a contest of wood identification, but I've turned a lot of both walnut & Desert Ironwood, and I'd have to say walnut also. There are other woods that are called ironwood, so maybe that is one of those.

JustmeinMS

I am going to agree with BSea because Ironwood is very dense and heavy. Plus, I have some that would just about be that blank in the pic's twin brother.

OZturner

Sorry I can't help you with the identification of the Timber, Les.
But it made one heck of a Pen Blank.
Your Superb Fit and Finish, completed a Magnificant Pen.
Brian.

I am not sure what it is but walnut really isn't all that hard or heavy... Ironwood is both that is for sure. Sure made a nice pen though. Great job.

Top Bottom