Look Ma No Joints!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from UKpenmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKpenmaker

Just having a play whilst i am waitng for the Gas man to come and fit a new meter.
I have done captive rings on Goblets before, and somebody mentioned about one on a pen a while back so i thought i would give it a go.

Red Dyed Maple from BigRob

2006121125629_pens0003.jpg

Not really a pratical pen, but good fun doing it:)

Close up of the Ring
2006121125850_pens0004.jpg

I am going to sit down now and try and do the 'Swirling Segments' tutorial for those who requested one.

PS The Gas man still hasn't arrived[:p]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBone

Nice touch on the ring. I think that would sell too, great conversation piece to have to show anyway. Are you going to post the tutorial in the library?

emackrell

I like the captive ring! Like Drittz I'd be interested in knowning how you finished the pen once you'd turned the ring.

cheers Eileen [8D]

UKpenmaker

Many thanks for the comments.
The wood is Stabilized Red Dyed MAple from BigRob, so all it really needs is sanding down all the way to MM 12000 and you have a very fine gloss finish then a quick coat of Ren-Wax. I think it would be very hard to do if you were trying to use some form of finish which relies on frition to build up its finish.
Travis, it is a fairly small ring but it seems resonably sturdy, i think it being stabilized probobly helps.

I have emailed Jef about submitting the 'Swirling Segments' tutorial, and will keep you posted about it.

JudeA

finaly someone else is going out the box . I have done some captive rings on pens and yes they are fragle and they do sell.I usaly do not put the clip on so ya can play with the ring more.
Ya did a great job with that one. Very elegent great job on yer finishing. Keep it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom