Loofa Sponge cast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Finatic

Finatic

After several tries, I got a good cast on a Loofa Sponge that I picked up years ago in Tarpon Springs Fl., off the sponge boat. I used Alumilite with a blue dye.
The pen component set is LeRoi Gold Ti.

Miscl Pen Photos 009.jpg

Miscl Pen Photos 010.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Finatic

You are correct, the Loofah is a gourd. However the fisherman I got this from called it a Loofah so I now have to do some research to see what I have. I cast it in a Steve Spangler Science soda bottle test tube. After the first try, I realized that if I capped it the expanding Alumilite would provide the pressure needed to fill the voids in the sponge. That worked great. The test tube is plastic and will not shatter. I then cut both ends off with the band saw and turned off the plastic test tube to get to the casting. Finished with thin CA and polished with compounds.

Last edited:

Finatic

Looks like the fisherman in Tarpon Springs was selling gourds as sponges. I guess I'm never too old to be duped by a good duper. Touristo beware!

ve3bax

Looks like the fisherman in Tarpon Springs was selling gourds as sponges. I guess I'm never too old to be duped by a good duper. Touristo beware!

not just the fisherman... lots of places sell them as sponges... i've tried to grow them in my veggie garden a few times... no luck yet... had a few decent vines, but no "Fruit"... oh well..

--Dave

Top Bottom