Loofa cigar pen, finally

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
It has been mentioned a fair amount here, usually in relation to cactus pens. Well, I finally got ahold of a loofa and cast it this evening. Here is the results. It was cast with Alumilite clear and I used dark blue tinted epoxy for the glue and to cover the tubes.

2006101733955_Loofa1.jpg

Here is a close-up
2006101734027_Loofa2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Looks great! I think it would look even better if the sponge were dyed red. Would look almost like veins.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
sarah,

Go to the home page here at IAP and click the link for my tutorial on making cactus blanks. Just substitute loofa for the cactus.

Alumilite is a clear urethane casting resin this is a lot less stinky and less brittle than PR!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Skye,

I am not sure if it would work to dye the loofa. I know I have tried dying the cactus skeletons and they did not take the dye. I tried red, black, and blue Transtint dye both diluted in alcohol and straight and it did not take. I guess I will have to try the loofa and see.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
MDWine,

Just about every place you see the white! The loofa is placed in a 1x1x6" square mold and resin is poured in. It is then turned just like a wood blank so yes, I am cutting through the sponge the entire time. Same with my cactus blanks.

Dario

Another nice pen Curtis.

I've been planning on doing this (cast Loofah) for more than a year now...but you actually put it in action and not just plan. You're the man! [;)]

underdog

Great job! Glad someone finally shows us what it looks like!

I think you're right that the cactus looks better... Though I'd take the Loofah over the cactus for the amount of work (and stink) it takes...[;)]

alamocdc

Dang, Curtis, you beat me to it! I picked up a nice piece of the stuff from Wally World while I was in Houston earlier this week, but haven't had the chance to cast it yet. Looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom