Long Wood Click with Hex Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Penultimate

Penultimate

Greetings
I'm quite pleased with this design, machining and polishing. The kit is a Rockler Long Wood Click. I made the hex shape using a homemade pin mandrel and a hex 5C collet block. I set it up on the mill and cut the hexes. Sanding was tough, my first attempt was on a granite block with wet sandpaper. It was hard to control. I put is on the mandrel mounted it on the lathe then sanded with MM. I counted the strokes to make sure each one got the same sanding.

Comments, questions and advice appreciated
View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I personally think if you are going to use the hex shape it belongs on a kitless pen. Does not blend in with the kit and this is just my opinion. Nice material though.

Cmmarshall

I can really appreciate the work that went into this blank. Can you feel the ridges of the hex or the roundness of the kit where they meet? That would be my concern.

Rockytime

I really like the hex design. Don't care for the way the photos are presented. Scrolling around to see the detail is disturbing. I see this quite often. Wonder how it is done. Just my humble opinion.

Penultimate

Greetings
John, my design intent was to try to make it kind of like the Pentel pencils. This was my test pen for a hex desk pen. I don't like when my pen rolls on the desk.

Jim, thanks for the kind words

Cody, thanks. The ridges are not uncomfortable because the hand sanding softens them. The ridge transition from hex to round is also soft due to sanding and falls within the opening between my thumb and forefinger, The next time I will machine a hex on the whole blank then turn the areas that need turning. That should make the transition seamless.

Les, Thanks, When I click on the photos on my computer or tap on my iPad a larger image comes up with buttons to cycle thru the photos.

Thank for your comments and support.

Top Bottom