Long Click and BOW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RHossack

RHossack

I have a request for another BOW pen for Christmas and I have a couple of minor problems. I'm out of my Fisher of Men pen kits and out of 3/4" BOW blanks.

I decided to use one of my favorite kits from Aaron's in Gold TI and one of my 1"+ blanks and this piece has cracks and fissures and the spalted ares broke off three times when turning it.

I also decided to throw a new finish in the mix and to try an experiment with a 4 rpm rotisserie.

BOW%252520001.JPG

I didn't read the directions until after I put on the first coat and it said something like four hours between coats and 24 to dry. I used 'foam' paint brushes cut into strips and there are two coats on this.

I checked it after we got home from our Candle Lighting at Church and finally it is dry enough that I can't smell it.

A little Plastix to get the dust bunnies off and I'm happy ... Pics do not show the depth of the shine.

BOW%252520003.JPG

BOW%252520005.JPG

BOW%252520007.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMckin5324

Wow, that looks great really nice job. Interesting shape for that kit, I like that pen its one I carry most of the time at work and make alot. I do them as a long straight kit, but I like the way it looks with that shape.
BTW, what is a 4 rpm rotisserie ?

mdburn_em

Very Nice

I like it in so many ways.
Love what you're doing with the 4 rpm turner.
I've wanted to do this for awhile now with my fly rod turner and some different types of lacquer as well as trying it with wipe-on poly
I like the shape on the kit.

SDB777

I'd love to know more about this 4rpm turner thingy!?!?!?

What is the finish you used? Instrument lacquer(Behlen)??

I can see show nice shine happerning, and I'm sure the photography doesn't show half of it! Nice shape to on the timber.

Scott (thought lacquer dried faster)

RHossack

Beautiful pen. Very nice finish.
Thank you sir ...
Wow, that looks great really nice job. Interesting shape for that kit, I like that pen its one I carry most of the time at work and make alot. I do them as a long straight kit, but I like the way it looks with that shape.
I've been doing most of my one-piece (slim & cigar) pens in this shape but I first saw this used on this kit by 'Larry in Harrow' and copied it. I was also going to add a feature that Mack uses on this kit but that was the first blowout and got shelved.
BTW, what is a 4 rpm rotisserie ?
It's what I use to dry my thread wraps on my fly rods. There are two motors on this setup, a 4 rpm and a 29 rpm. I just adapted it to use on my pens.
I like it in so many ways.
Love what you're doing with the 4 rpm turner.
Thanks!
I've wanted to do this for awhile now with my fly rod turner and some different types of lacquer as well as trying it with wipe-on poly
I like the shape on the kit.
Well I needed to use my dipping rack and since it's around 20ºF in the garage I normally do this in the kitchen. I ran into a snag called the wife and Christmas dinner ... I didn't have much counter space so I dug out the rod turner.

Finatic

I use this method quite a bit, and have found that Devcon 2Ton epoxy works extremly well. I add a drop of alcohol to thin it and apply with an acid brush. A hair dryer used sparingly will get any bubbles out. The motors are available on ebay in Rod Building Supplies. They are used for coating fishing rods and plugs.
I really like the way your grain lines up. Great attention to detail.

Top Bottom