London Pen Show.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from theturningcircle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winchester, Hampshire. SO22 5LB, United Kingdom.
Yesterday I took part in the International Pen Show in London. It was sponsored by Parker and there were 80 trade stands. I was the only woodturner there and this really worked in my favour. Business was brisk and I took Over $1000. I tiring day but worth it. I've attached a couple of photos of my stand.
Ian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very well done Ian. I'm glad it was worth your while. I would love to hear more about your experience at the show. Was this your first pen show and what type of pen was the best seller? Did you meet up with Luke? When is the next show? When you get some time, please let me know some more.[:D][:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
No wonder you were successful.

Used the ever-popular "Great-looking Babe" in the booth. Works overseas too, huh???[:p][:p][:p][:p]

Oh, your display WAS GOOD, too!!

ashaw

Ian

Great job on your display. Glad it work out for you. The big about these shows is that you get your name out at the same time your learning about a whole new world out there.

Ligget

Great display Ian, is that your daughter next to you?[;)]
Glad you had an enjoyable day and you made a good profit, would you do another show?

Winchester, Hampshire. SO22 5LB, United Kingdom.
Thanks for all your comments about the stand and my results.[:D] To answer a few questions raised by "Skiprat" and others, I'll try and condense my thoughts about the whole experience.
Since retiring (early I might add[;)]) I've been doing craft events for the past 10 years. In my previous life as a medical salesman, I gained a lot of experience about how to present products at trade displays and this has helped me at craft events. My stand has evolved over the years and this one is 'mark 3'. It is minus two other levels at each end which were inappropriate for pen displays and the limited space allocated. Each level is cut from MDF and held in place by turned pillars that bolt together through the the MDF. Each level is covered by material glued to it. I think it important to use a colour material that sets all the different woods off well. It takes about 20 minutes to assemble.
Yes, this was my first pen show but I have sold pens at general craft shows as well. I decided to partially separate the pen display with a few of my clocks and boxes (see my photo album). This added to the overall effect and in fact my first sale of the day was a globe box and a pillar clock[:D]. The majority of traders were in antique pens with a scattering of associated ephemera. Their displays were basically unrolled pen pouches - not that attractive. Many people commented that my display was probably the most attractive and that is exactly what you want.[;)]
Most of my sales were from the mid to high end range and fountain pens easily outsold roller balls. Slimline ball points sold very little. My LOML sold my entire stock of perfume pens (14).
For UK members, pen shows are apparently also held in the midlands and 'up north'.
Skiprat - yes I did meet up with Luke and he apparently had a good show as well.
Time now to replace stock and prepare for 2 more craft shows in November.
Thanks for all your good comments and I shall definitely do other pen shows.
Ian.

luke39uk

Firstly I'd like to say a big thank you to all the other UK members for the wonderful gift presented to me on your behalf by Ian at the London pen show.It was very kind of you all,and I'm very grateful.
The London pen show was the first show I have ever taken part in,but the response I had regarding my pens was above all expectations.I sold all the stock I took with me,(It's hard to judge how much to take)and I had to keep back some pens for display.I'm busy now trying to get around the postal strike to get the orders shipped out,and to replace stock.
I didn't intend to sell many pens at the show,I intended it to be more of a marketing exercise,and to meet up with pen customers,and retailers,and boy has it gone ballistic with sales from my website,and retail and distributor enquiries.My pens are now even being compared to Bexley on the Fountain Pen Network,I'm very,very, flattered,and it's nice to know that the hard work is finally getting noticed.
It was great to meet up and chat with Ian and his display of pens was very impressive,as Ian has mentioned it was a very long day,but all in all well, worth the effort.
Luke.
Sorry for hijacking your thread Ian but I'm really over the moon with the response I've had from the pen show.
Luke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom