Live Oak Sierra click pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Marc Phillips

Finished in CA as usual...

This was pretty wood! ... love it when I cut away the stuff and find this!

Thanks for looking... and as always, comments welcomed...

liveoaksierraclick.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice chunck of wood there Marc ! Outstanding finish with that CA . I just have not acheived that kind of gloss yet . [B)]

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by stevebuk

beautiful pen, and what a shine on the body, please excuse my ignorance but, what is live oak[?]

I got the blank from Dario about a bazillion years ago... had a pretty good idea it would be nice underneath since I have done this wood a couple of times...

Dario had it labeled "Heritage Live Oak"

This is from an article I found...

Live oak or evergreen oak is a general term for a number of unrelated oaks in several different sections of the genus Quercus that happen to share the character of evergreen foliage.

The name live oak comes from the fact that evergreen oaks remain green and "live" throughout winter, when other oaks are dormant, leafless and "dead"-looking. The name is used mainly in North America, where evergreen oaks are widespread in warmer areas, along the Atlantic coast from Virginia to Florida, west along the Gulf Coast to Texas and across the southwest to California and southwest Oregon.

Evergreen oak species are also common in the warmer parts of Europe and Asia, and are included in this list for the sake of completeness. These species, although not having "live" in their common names in their countries of origin, are colloquially called live oaks when cultivated in North America.

When the term live oak is used in a specific rather than general sense, it most commonly refers to the Southern live oak (the first species so named), but can often refer to other species regionally.

The live oak is the official state tree of Georgia.

Dario

Steve, Live Oak is one of the white oaks. This particular one though is from a tree that is about 300-400 years old (thus the title "Heritage" for centenarian). I am really not sure how old the tree but the branch that I collected it from is about 4 feet in diameter (and yes it is just the branch).

Marc, Good job! I thought you will never get to these. ;)

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by Dario

Marc, Good job! I thought you will never get to these. ;)

Wanted to be as careful as possible... hehehe... and also use a decent kit!

You'da been real happy if this was used on a gold slimline :D

Thanks again Dario... love that wood... really polishes up great.

bitshird

Mark, that is a fantastic looking pen, I really like seeing a nice piece of Oak, it's a pretty rare beast, Nice kit too and the finish is definitely an eye popper

Top Bottom