Little sister's first pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Armacielli

Armacielli

I gave her the kit for Christmas, so we turned it. she picked out a pink ivory blank. the project gave us a fair amount of trouble. the tube got glued halfway into the blank, and while trying to remove it I ruin her tube, so I grabbed another from another kit and we used the cutoff as the front barrel with a blackwood scrap b/c the cutoff wasn't long enough. the out-of-place clip was a product of me forgetting to put it on the back. At the end of it all the transmition was bad it will twist the point in, but you have to remove the rear barrel to twist it back out. All in all her first pen went well despite hang-ups.

summer09004.jpg

summer09010.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

Why not knock out the transmission and replace it with a good one so that her pen works correctly? It's easy (and fun!) to do.

jkeithrussell

how might I do this without springing for a dis-assembly kit?

Harbor Freight sells a transfer punch set for something like $7. If you get the transfer punches, all you have to do is: pull the pen apart; find the punch that barely fits through the opening in the transmission (after you take out the refill, of course); tap that punch with a hammer to knock off the nib piece (this will be very easy); find the punch that barely fits through the end that you knocked the nib out of, and tap that punch with a hammer to knock off the transmission (this will not be as easy, but it will eventually come out). Same process on the other end and you can fix the clip problem. It will help to use a dot of CA or epoxy when you reassemble. If you don't have the punches (get them!), you can do the same thing with drill bits. Or you can mail it to me and I'll fix it for you.

jaeger

Here is one way to do it.
This only works if you have "spare" drill bits. You don't want to use the new set!
Take off the top and set aside.
Find the largest drill bit that will fit through the hole in the transmission. Stick this bit, point first, toward the nib. Take the next smaller drill bit and put this one in with the point facing out. Now you should have enough sticking out to sharply rap with a hammer. Yes you are rapping on the point side of the drill bit, that is why you use an old set.
After you get the nib off, find another drill bit that you can put in backwards just smaller than the tube. You are going to rap on the pointed side of this bit as well to push the tranny out.

Top Bottom