A little pick-me-up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

This is a telescoping magnetic wand. For those of you out there that who were blessed with having webs between your fingers, you may never use one of these !!! However, for the rest of us, this is a must tool on the workbench. I can't tell you off hand how many hours I have spent on my hands and knees looking for that screw, clip, or allen wrench, and it always seems to be under the workbench just out of easy reach. The main body is Bloodwood with spalted Maple triangels added on the ends. Some of the accent pieces are scraps from several segmented projects I have done in the past and just couldn't throw away, some are scrap pic guard pieces, other elements are colored veneers. Crome fittings with an 8 coat thick CA, finishished to 1200 grit, and polished with One-Step. It's a lot easier to stay sitting in your chair and pick up your part, than to have to get on the floor and find it. Total cost for this project. Between 3-4 bucks, a little time, and a clean up of the scrap box. Happy Easter to all !! Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (800x157).jpg
    DSCF0001 (800x157).jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCF0001 (800x252).jpg
    DSCF0001 (800x252).jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF0002 (800x195).jpg
    DSCF0002 (800x195).jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF0002 (800x260).jpg
    DSCF0002 (800x260).jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 137
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

.very nice. I made one just yesterday but did not make it extravagant such as is yours. I am making a total of 15 for upcoming craft fairs. I am using Walnut for the handles. Nice easy components from Rockler! Beautiful work there! Nicely done, be well.......Jan

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Nice evenly balanced segmenting. A matching pen ( and pencil perhaps) would make a neat gift set.

plantman

Nice evenly balanced segmenting. A matching pen ( and pencil perhaps) would make a neat gift set.

Work pencel is almost completed. I am thinking of one of those mini tool holders as the third ellement. I think these would make a very nice gift for anyone into woodworking or for small home jobs. Jim S

sbwertz

I sell a lot of these. I just picked up a bunch of the kits on Rockler's closeout for $4 each. They are big sellers for anyone in a wheelchair or who use a walker and have trouble bending over and picking things up. (We had a potluck at the church not long ago, and one little lady in a wheel chair dropped her fork. She whipped off her magnetic pickup that was attached to the arm of her wheel chair and had it retrieved before it quit bouncing!)

plantman

Where are you picking up that kit for just $3-4?

Rockler was selling them out for $4 each, plus a lot of other pens and wood related products. I just received their latest April 2014 catalog with my order. There are no longer any pen kits, blanks, or pen related products in the catalog. If you want something, I think it will be "while supply lasts". Jim S

BSea

That is very nice Jim. I just got a few of them on closeout from rockler. But I don't think mine will be as well dressed as yours. That's a great blank.

Top Bottom