a little loooonger than normal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MarkHix

MarkHix

At the Jan local meeting George (I think it was George) mentioned making your FP a little longer than normal to hold a spare cartridge inside. LOML wanted a FP so I took a stab at it. I have not deviated much from basic kits in the past so this is really a stretch for me. This is really too long, I added more length than I needed too. Nope, I did not measure. It was really just to see if I could. I have included a regular length pen for comparison. A more B2B shape on the barrell would probably be an improvement. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Extra long.jpg
    Extra long.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 324
  • extralong 2.jpg
    extralong 2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Mark, Yep, sounds like something I would say. :)

When I make a "closed end" pen, not using the lower metal end piece, I drill the hole 2.75" deep which gives plenty of room for the Schmidt converter and also allows for a spare rubber refill if using a rubber cartridge.

The Jr Gent and Jr Statesmen kits are already long enough to slide a spare inside so you could have just made it normal length.

All that said, I have made a few pens longer and actually like the way they feel in my hand. Nothing says a pen has to be a certain length!

The longer pen looks fine to me and I like that blank, is it the Cochen rosewood John has?

J

jackrichington

I started making closed end pens because I hated the short stubby writing ends...your way works too

GaryMadore

I actually like the look of your longer pens. Or, put another way, I find that "regular" fountain pens look a little bit stubby to my eye.

I have no idea if a longer pen is less of a pleasure to write with, but I do think they look sexier.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers!

Gary

Edit: Did you add extra tube? Split the tube the kit came with?

MarkHix

The wood was Amboyna (John's). I filled it with Private Reserve Spearmint and my wife loves it. ALL THOSE COLORS!!!!!!!!!!

I am afraid I am becoming a FP snob. I swapped out my daily writer RB for a very plain ironwood FP. Is there a cure? I hope not.

Top Bottom