A Little Leather Work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

I saw something like this on this site the other day and decided to give it a try for myself. The one I saw must have been from new leather because it was not nearly as dark as mine.

I had and old belt that I didn't need that had been hanging without hardware on in my office for years. I can now say that it is no longer without hardware.
rolleyes.gif
It may not be a buckle but the gold tone goes well with it.
cool.gif

I took the old belt and cut it into 1" squares and stacked them all together in a clamp and then covered them with thin CA. After it was dry I treated it like any other pen blank except that I did have to add more CA after drilling the hole and after turning it to size. It turned well but had a peculiar smell, similar to antlers. In other words it stunk.
frown.gif
May have been all the sweet that I had left in it over the years (probably 30yrs or so). Needless to say this is a carry pen for me. Wouldn't want my sweet being carried by anyone else.
biggrin.gif

Stats:
Hardware = WC Upgrade Gold Wall Street II with Parker Refill
Barrel Material = Leather
Finish = Thin CA to stabilize then several coats of paste wax.​

Attachments

• IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 309
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

In other words it stunk.
frown.gif
May have been all the sweet that I had left in it over the years (probably 30yrs or so). Needless to say this is a carry pen for me. Wouldn't want my sweet being carried by anyone else.
biggrin.gif

the first one you meant sweat (perspiration) right? (all the sweet you ate are already burned in the form of calories):biggrin: The second sweet (candies, pastries) you want someone carry your sweet away, because if you hang on to them they can become trouble some on you. (pun intended):tongue::biggrin:
Aside form all of this your picture is too dark to see,but I think you did very nice job overall.

Last edited:

JD Combs Sr

In other words it stunk.
frown.gif
May have been all the sweat that I had left in it over the years (probably 30yrs or so). Needless to say this is a carry pen for me. Wouldn't want my sweat being carried by anyone else.
biggrin.gif

the first one you meant sweat (perspiration) right? (all the sweet you ate are already burned in the form of calories):biggrin: The second sweet (candies, pastries) you want someone carry your sweet away, because if you hang on to them they can become trouble some on you. (pun intended):tongue::biggrin:
Aside form all of this your picture is too dark to see,but I think you did very nice job overall.

You know it is a shame that spell checkers can't read your mind:redface::rolleyes:. I am not sure lightning up the photos would help a lot. That leather turned very dark after the CA and wax was applied. Like I mention in the OP, the one I saw earlier must have been new leather because it had a nice tan look.

Drstrangefart

Nice work! So far I've turned 2 belts into pens. Both were really old leather. One was a leather/rubber compound of some sort. Smelled unbelieveably bad during the process, but I got it done. Real leather is definitely easier to work with.

areaman

I think the color depends on the color of the leather. if you have a light colored leather it will end up light in your case the leather looks like it was a darker color to begin with. nice looking pen.

wiset1

Can't get over how creative people are on this forum. If it can be turned...it will! This looks amazing and I'm sure the process of saturating the leather in CA resulted in a unique finish. Pictures can do only so much...the beauty of the pen and overall finish is when you can hold it in your hands and truly appreciate it for what it is. Awesome work!

Top Bottom