a little fun with currly maple and aniline dye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dogrunner

dogrunner

heres some Polaris pens I dyed with aniline dye
IMG_1503_1_1_1.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edward Cypher

I really like the 5th one from the left, the blue is a nice color. The red really pops too. Whose aniline dyes did you use? I have tried feibings (sp).

sbwertz

Is this true aniline dye? i.e. does it contain aniline? If so it is highly toxic.

"How can aniline affect my health?

Aniline can be toxic if ingested, inhaled, or by skin contact. Aniline damages hemoglobin, a protein that normally transports oxygen in the blood. The damaged hemoglobin can not carry oxygen. This condition is known as methemoglobinemia and its severity depends on how much you are exposed to and for how long. Methemoglobinemia is the most prominent symptom of aniline poisoning in humans, resulting in cyanosis (a purplish blue skin color) following acute high exposure to aniline. Dizziness, headaches, irregular heart beat, convulsions, coma, and death may also occur. Direct contact with aniline can also produce skin and eye irritation.
Long-term exposure to lower levels of aniline may cause symptoms similar to those experienced in acute high-level exposure. There is no reliable information on whether aniline has adverse reproductive effects in humans. Studies in animals have not demonstrated reproductive toxicity for aniline."

Last edited:

dogrunner

I don't think they sell true aniline dyes anymore its just what people call a waterbased dye

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Is this true aniline dye? i.e. does it contain aniline? If so it is highly toxic.

"How can aniline affect my health?

Aniline can be toxic if ingested, inhaled, or by skin contact. Aniline damages hemoglobin, a protein that normally transports oxygen in the blood. The damaged hemoglobin can not carry oxygen. This condition is known as methemoglobinemia and its severity depends on how much you are exposed to and for how long. Methemoglobinemia is the most prominent symptom of aniline poisoning in humans, resulting in cyanosis (a purplish blue skin color) following acute high exposure to aniline. Dizziness, headaches, irregular heart beat, convulsions, coma, and death may also occur. Direct contact with aniline can also produce skin and eye irritation.
Long-term exposure to lower levels of aniline may cause symptoms similar to those experienced in acute high-level exposure. There is no reliable information on whether aniline has adverse reproductive effects in humans. Studies in animals have not demonstrated reproductive toxicity for aniline."

Always good to ask!

The pens look very nice!!!

solobiker

Those look great. I love all of the different colors. So many great ideas here...once I my foot heals I will head back out and try some new techniques. Thanks for the idea.

Top Bottom