A Little Diversion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mac In Oak Ridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
A week or so ago there was a discussion about seam rippers. One of the fine ladies in my office belongs to a quilt makers guild. (;-} Strike while the iron is hot, as my old master gunsmith told me.

I made three prototypes for her to take to a meeting, gave her one and told her she could sell the other two for $8.00. She did.

So I spent some shop time today on these. I do think that they will go.

200532521405_Seam-Rippers-25Mar05-0012.jpg

Left to Right: Bocote, York Gum Burl, Bolivian Rosewood, Cocobolo, Bolivian Rosewood, Cocobolo, Yellowheart, Lacewood and last but not least Bubinga.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
To answer the questions asked:

Went to Walmart and bought the seam rippers. They had two styles, one (this one) has a little blue plastic handle about 1 1/4" long. You take the plastic cap off, pad the jaws of a pair of pliers and pull the metal part out of the handle. It is just pressed into a hole, nothing holding it except friction. Walmart only had four. Then went to Hobby Lobby, they have a fabric department, and they stock the exact same tool except in a different package. Got some more there.

At Michael's, in the scrap book department I found the little metal end pieces. They are kind of like buttons with metal prongs on the back side. Like you punch through some paper and fold over to secure the button. They had Antique Copper color and silver color, wish they had brass but didn't. Bought some of those.

Use short pen blanks that won't make a whole pen. Drill hole in one end for the prongs of the buttons. Drill hole in the other end for the ripper blade. Used one of the discarded plastic handles to get the size of the hole and how deep, #37 drill, 3/4" deep.

Put blank between centers, used a tiny spur center to drive it with. Turn handle. Be careful on the end where the blade goes, that taper has to match the discarded plastic handle so the cap will fit on the new handle. Once you turn two or three you get the feel for that.

Used 30 min. epoxy poked down the holes to hold the button and the blade in. Don't really think you need it for the blade, it fits nicely but just extra insurance. I bent hooks on the ends of the two little prongs on the buttons just to make a little knot on the end for the glue to grab hold of. Put glue in the hole with a toothpick, push button in hole. It goes all the way in. On the back side of the button there are two little tiny rivets. They hold the button off the wood just enough that you can see light between it and the wood. Put the handle in the pen press and used it to seat the button in the end of the handle. Glue sets and holds it there.

Other than that it is a pretty straight forward turning, not much different than a pen body. I made them all the same but next batch I intend to fiddle around with different designs for the shape of the handle.

elody21

I don't know how I ever missed these!! They are amazing. I love this idea!!! It would be great to make a needle case and a seam ripper and a thimble to match!!! Thanks for sharing!!
PS MODERATOR. I JUST REALIZED I BROUGHT A POST THAT WAS NOT PENS BACK FROM QUITE A WHILE A GO SORRY SORRY SORRY IT WAS NOT THE AUTHORS FAULT! I had never seen these the first time.!!!!!!!!!!

What a great way to turn something from WallMart into something that looks wonderful. I bet people who use these will like the feel of real wood rather than plastic. I agree with Bev, they are definitely worth more than $8 ... and ... if you don't mind I'll place them on my to-do list. My LOML and her mother want one [:)]

Thumbs

Well, Alice from the response this thread has received again I don't think that anybody will complain that you resurrected it inappropriately! And Mac shouldn't complain about getting another Hurrah for his great idea! Good show and good tell!

mike_l

I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around. Great idea and thanks for the instructions. Much appreciated.

Mike L

And here i"m bringing it back, alice LOL

And yep. a great idea-- a perfect gift for a seamstress, quilter or anybody who does a bit with fabric and thread!!! I've not been here in a while--its making me wish I could just quit work and help Mike make LOADS of neat 'wood' stuff!!!!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by TheHoneymooners
<br />But another question-- MAC---SURELY you get more than 8 bucks a piece for these beauties?????

I have to join in that wonderment. Just walking into ones shop and turning on the equipment is worth almost $10.00. I know there is a limit to what the market will bear but I believe $8.00 is underselling your workmanship. That said, I like the idea and will try some. If they look good the price will be $10.00 or $12.00 (I have to pay commission and rent at my display).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom