A little different from me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I sponsored a handwriting contest at one of the local elementary schools. Out of the entrants, who ranged from 7 to 12 years old, a lovely little 9 year old girl's work was selected. To be honest with you, she writes better than I do. Her award was a nice certificate from the PTO and this dip pen that I made especially for her. Pink ivory, of course.

200642212215_PinkIvoryDip.jpg

Thank you for looking and a special thanks to those who take the time to comment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Nice. I really like the square end. The sharp corner on the nib end, does it alter one's grip?

I'm also curious about the nib holder. It does not look like any that I have seen.

Ron Mc

I like it. You can use one end to write with and the other in your honey jar![;)]
Nicely done.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, Stan. I "borrowed" the design of the nib end from a calligraphy book that I have. Seems that these calligraphers hold their pens like paint brushes and write with their entire arm rather than just their hand and fingers. I thought the nib holder was standard, but what do I know? The nib itself is a Speedball and fit without a problem. I'll add a couple of extra views for you.

Ron - you hit the nail on the head...the end is definitely borrowed from the world of honey dippers. [8D]

20064222155_PinkIvoryDipAlt1-L.jpg
<br />

200642221531_PinkIvoryDipAlt2-L.jpg
<br />

mrcook4570

Now I see. What I thought was the nib holder is actually part of the nib. The additional pics also show off the slant of the end of the pen much better.

Dan

Lou, that little girl will remember your event and that beautiful pen for the rest of her life. And any number of SpeedBall nibs will interchange with the one you show in your pictures. What a great idea to make a connection with a nearly lost art form. You're just a Great American!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Gerry - Do you think I'm nuts? [:p] I made the PTO do the judging. Having been a baseball and soccer coach, referee and umpire along with a Scout leader, I've learned to NEVER put yourself in the position of judging something someone else's child has done. Dan - Thanks for the nice words. Yes, Speedball's and a fair number of other manufacturers' nibs will all fit in the holder. I love the versatility. Thanks for everyone's kind words. Truth is - I just love kids.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Scott - Yes, the nib holder is from Stiles and Bate in the UK. There was a group buy on these about 6 months ago.

Thanks William, Billy, Scott, Jim and Janet. This was a fun time for me. There are 5 more elementary schools in my area, so I may take the idea to them, too. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom