Little Black Number (Custom)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Curly

Curly

This is the pen I entered in the Best of IAP Pen Contest for 2012.

It is made of Black Ebonite, a Schmidt #5 nib, and takes the standard ink cartridge. Threads are 12mm triple start cap / barrel and 9 x .75mm section / to barrel. Length capped is 3 5/8", posted is 5 1/2" (if I remembered correctly) and it tips the scale at under 10 grams. This one isn't clipped as it is meant to be carried in a ladies purse.

To the best of my knowledge no one has made a pen with this configuration before now, making it compact for carry and a comfortable length for writing.

Please feel free to express your opinions of my pen.

Pete

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P9240363.jpg
    P9240363.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,367
  • P9240368.jpg
    P9240368.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,366
  • P9240371.jpg
    P9240371.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,411
  • P9240364.jpg
    P9240364.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,345

Kretzky

Great job Pete! Novel idea & some "out of the box" thinking. Having seen one of these in the flesh, it really is a innovative idea.
Suggestion if I may... could you incorporate a clip? all I'm thinking is being so compact it could get lost in the bottom of a pocket, bag etc.
Otherwise super pen & great execution, fit & finish are fabulous.
Keep up the good work Pete!
David

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is so slick it's sick!!.:biggrin:

It's a serious IAP winner in my book anyway!!! Very well done!!

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Pete: I'm right in there with Skippy! "It's so slick it's sick" ening to me that you designed it before I even thought about it, I am :turtle:brain. AArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!:frown: :biggrin::beer::beer:

chriselle

And thus it's revealed. Hey Pete..:wink:

I got a first hand peek at this little wonder when I met Pete and Marla this past summer (thanks again guys..:wink:). It was a cumberland version as I recall.
I've gotten pretty confident at the whole custom pen thing but when I saw Pete's little creation I was pretty much floored. It wasn't so much with the execution in making the pen, which was flawless, but rather the ingenuity in thinking up the design. Especially considering the talent pool within our community here at the IAP it was perplexing to me that someone could think that far outside of the box and yet keeping it so incredibly basic and simple. So cool Pete. Thanks for sharing. I expect it'll be copied by days end..:biggrin:

I that the Japanese ebonite?

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

Very nice Pete!

I've been working on a pen I'm calling 'stubz', it's a similar concept but very different in execution. You've inspired me to get it done sooner.

AK

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Gotta hand it to you Pete, I love the design. And, since it is made for a purse, the lack of clip is forgiven. :biggrin: Outstanding finish friend.

Curly

Thank you all for your kind words and support. It does mean a lot and lets me know I'm on the right track.

For all those that want to know how to get Ebonite to shine and sparkle. I turn and sand at lower speeds than you would with most plastics, about 1000 rpm give or take a few hundred. I started sanding with 320 and ended at 600 or 800, forgot which, :rolleyes: stopping to sand lengthwise at each grit. Then it was a little 0000 steel wool and then went through the 3 stages of buffing with the Beall system, also at 800 to 1200 rpm.

Yes Chris the Ebonite is the stuff you brought me in the summer And it does preffer to be turned slowly or it eats the HSS tool edges. :wink:

Time for me to start putting my brain back into its box. :biggrin: I have to go to work tomorrow. :frown:

All the best
Pete

bluwolf

Maybe it has to do with the finish. As soon as I looked at it, the word slick came to mind. Then I realized 2 or 3 other people already called it slick. Anyway, that really is thinking outside the box. Well done!

Mike

Russianwolf

great pen. A real keeper.

The design is actually similar to a couple I've seen before. One is the Kaweco Sport, and the other ,I'm fuzzy on which company made it (I think either MB or Waterman,) a colleague had a while back was really for women as it was a floral design.

Curly

Thanks Shawn. It looks like my original idea was sort of original before. :frown: I should have known I wasn't the only brilliant guy in the world. :wink:

Jjartwood

Really cool look,even better workmanship.
I've been considering a kitless project and you may have pushed me into it with this beauty.
Beautiful work,simply Beautiful
Mark

magpens

Great idea and execution, Pete !!! . That was nearly 5 years ago ... what's your latest "slick" idea ?

I hadn't seen this before, so thanks for referencing in a recent thread by Texasshipagent.

Now my comment will "bump" your slickness into the New Threads !! . More kudos for you, I expect !!

Last edited:
Top Bottom