Like the Roller Balls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bev Polmanteer

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first Classic Rollerball and was lots easier than I had imagined. When I saw all the pieces I thought it was going to be hard to put together! Pleasent surprise.

Image Insert:
2004914232021_190Mottle%20Maple.jpg

25.97KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C_Ludwigsen

Nice pen, Bev. I love the burl woods.

I've made several of the Classic style fountain pens and will be making a couple of the rollerballs soon. If for no other reason than I've gotten enough questions about the ink mechanism in the various pens that I decided I better have first-hand knowledge. I knew more about the wood, the finish, and the workmanship it took to make a good pen than I did about the business end of the writing instrument.

I blew up the first barrel I tried when I was parting off the section for the centerband. I've since learned to cut it with a skew before picking up the parting tool.

Hope your show is a success.

Chuck

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I haven't done any rollerballs or fountain pens yet.... been wondering if they are good sellers.. still debating before I buy some kits...
How do they sell you the rest of you... and what kind of price is good... are they $40 pens.. or more..

ilikewood

Again, beautiful work Bev!! This style IS easy to assemble and turn...a real bonus when you are trying to fill an order or get ready for a craft show.

I probably sell more rollerball and fountain pens than any other type. This style does quite well, but I have found the designer elite from PSI, and CSUSA's gent (jr and full) line are the best sellers of fountain and rollerballs. The only bad thing about he designer elite is the step drilling...a real pain in the...well you get the point. I bought the step drills from them and it made things VERY easy after that. Keep up the fantastic work!!

I thought I would add this for Tom (old griz)....You are very brave posting your picture...if I did that, it would scare the membership away [:D]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Bill.. that is why I have by daughter in my picture.. kind of need to soften the blow to the members... hopefully they will concentrate on her cuteness instead of my grizzliness... LOL...

Mike_O

Griz,

I have found that the fountain pens always attract attention, but don't sell as well. 60% of the pens that I sell are rollerballs, 30% are ballpoints and the last 10% are mixed between fountain and pencils.

I usually get $65 to $75 for the rollerballs unless the customer is buying a lot of pens. Then I will go as low as $50. I just had 2 customers that each ordered 10 pens, so they got the $50 price.

You really should try turning a few rollerballs and fountains.

Cheers,

Mike O

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />I haven't done any rollerballs or fountain pens yet.... been wondering if they are good sellers.. still debating before I buy some kits...
How do they sell you the rest of you... and what kind of price is good... are they $40 pens.. or more..

ilikewood

I agree with Mike O on this....get some kits Tom and make some rollerballs and fountains. They draw a higher price, but usually sell very well even for the increased cost. I actually think the kits are easier to assemble too for what it is worth.

Daniel

I already new I prefered a rollerball before I ever made a pen of my own. Part of the reason I started making them was the searc for the perfect rollerball for me. so far I have landed on the gents pen. but havn't made a gent jr. yet.
I don't think I have the perfect pen either. i'll find it somewhere around pen 10,000 or so i figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom