Like father, like son

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

"Dad, when I grow up I want to be just like you !!" Here are a couple cigar pens I put together the other day. Thought you might get a kick out of them. Large one is Quilted Sapple, small one is Brazilian Rosewood. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0009 (640x250).jpg
    DSCF0009 (640x250).jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCF0010 (464x640).jpg
    DSCF0010 (464x640).jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 238
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Thanks Harry; The little one is a PSI Mini Designer Pen, but any of the mini pen fittings will work. Length is about 4 inches. Will add open photo next time I set up camera. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0011 (640x438).jpg
    DSCF0011 (640x438).jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

longbeard

Thank you posting the pic Jim.
Now i have another question :rolleyes: after seeing that pic.
Never noticed it in the first pic, but it appears you have another seam :confused:
care to elaborate on that?

plantman

Harry; The reason for the second seam is twofold. First my blank was not long enough to make a full length cigar, but I did have two blanks with the same color and patterns.. Many cigars are in the 6 to 7 inch length, so if you want to be true to scale, you need a longer than normal blank.. Second, I wanted to see if I could turn a double closed end pen on a mandrel. There is an article in the library on how to do this. I drilled the blanks, mounted them on the mandrel, and turned them down to the size I wanted. Than I glued on the extra piece on one end, and the Buckeye Burl ash on the other end. I than used a pin vice and live center to finish turning the pen blanks. It was kind of an odd way of doing it, but many new turners don't have all the gadgets and gismos on hand to do this the easy way. Using collets, pin vices, or turning on centers would be my first choices. Jim S

longbeard

Thank you for sharing Jim.
I have all the gismos and gadgets and probably alot of things i thought i needed but dont.
Just wish i had something that would drill straight :rolleyes::biggrin:

plantman

Thank you for sharing Jim.
I have all the gismos and gadgets and probably alot of things i thought i needed but dont.
Just wish i had something that would drill straight :rolleyes::biggrin:

:rolleyes: Harry; I have two methods of drilling straight holes. First method is to use your lathe to drill your holes. I use a three or four jaw chuck to hold my blank, and start with a centering drill to start my hole. Unless your doing segmenting with a pattern, it need not be perfectly in the center. However, your tailstock live center point must line up perfectly with your drive center point. If not, you will never drill or turn a straight line. Second method I use is a custom made centering vice made by Tim Geist at T.V. Geist Manufacturing Inc. $ 59.99. Same vice that retails for $125.00, but doesn't have the red powdercoating. I would also purchase the Sanding Fixture $ 19.99 for squaring up your blanks. This vice is heavy duty, no slop or binding, and open on the front for easy blank in and out. Wide jaws will hold bottle stoppers and uneven objects. I use my Shop Smith with this vice. It has double 2" tubes and the quill can be adjusted to remove any laterial movement. And, here's another however, this vice or any other vice or holding system for that matter is only as good as your drill press set up. There should be no slop in your quill throughout it's travel, it must be at a perfect 90 degee angle front to back and side to side to your drill table. Once you have everything square and level, mount your vice to your table with clamps after centering your drill point on the center of your blank, or mounting a drill bit in the vice and making sure the points of the two bits meet ( I mounted mine on a sliding adjustable board in case I wanted to move something off center to take advantage of some nice grain ) . Nice thing about the Shop Smith, you can adjust the table in and out without moving the fence. You could also use a double cross sliding vice to give you even more movement. Now you should be able to drill perfectly centered holes with one method or the other. Jim S

Last edited:

longbeard

Lathe: just enough off center for perfect. Just when i get close to final demension with tbc bushings, i go between centers. As long as i have the tail stock retracted as far as it will go, point to point centers are very close. I tried a couple diffetent ways to drill on the lathe, but the hole would end up being to big for a tube. So i use my drill press for the drilling of all my blanks, doesnt mater if its off a little on square blanks. I will have new lathe with in a month. Ive been buying tools ( chucks and such ) for awhile now so i will have the little goodies for the new lathe.
Thank you Jim for the advice. Look forward to seeing more of your cigars.
My cigars for now, come from Don Vann. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Last edited:

plantman

Lathe: just enough off center for perfect. Just when i get close to final demension with tbc bushings, i go between centers. As long as i have the tail stock retracted as far as it will go, point to point centers are very close. I tried a couple diffetent ways to drill on the lathe, but the hole would end up being to big for a tube. So i use my drill press for the drilling of all my blanks, doesnt mater if its off a little on square blanks. I will have new lathe with in a month. Ive been buying tools ( chucks and such ) for awhile now so i will have the little goodies for the new lathe.
Thank you Jim for the advice. Look forward to seeing more of your cigars.
My cigars for now, come from Don Vann. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Harry; Here is one easy way to check your lathe. Put drive and live centers in your lathe. Back your live center as far into the tail piece as it will go. Bring to two together to see if they meet. Now loosen your tail piece and turn out the live center as far as it will go. Bring the two points back together and slowly turn your live center. The two points should stay together. If they don't you will have to shim your tail piece until they do. When I restore old lathes, or tune up new ones, I drill and tap the tail piece where it slides over the rails and install set screws to level it. Jim S

longbeard

Thanks Jim
the 2 points are off enough to drive me crazy. I like the idea of the set screws for adjustment.
Just may try that. I just finished 14 pen order for a guy and as soon as i get paid, im ordering a new lathe. I think im gonna go with the nova comet II. Little bigger than my jet 1014.
Thank you for the advice Jim, i appreciate it alot.

Top Bottom