Lignum Vitae Sierra, by BigRob Pen # 5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigRob777

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

Well, I botched my 4th pen, but this one came out best of all, I think. It is the "flattest" (least contoured) pen I have turned to date and it is finished with BLO, CA and then TSW, from DCBlues. This is my first time using the TSW and I am hooked. It is awesome stuff.

I am actually finally open to critique on this one. I know it has some flaws, but it is my best so far. Thanks Lou and Jim for your input. The picture stinks, but I am not yet set up, with my million dollar photo studio (white plastic bin with halogens).
Rob

20051112203550_DSCN1777-2.jpg

Since I don't have a website, here's a nice link:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10564

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Rob,
Great shape on this Sierra. I made 7 Sierra's last night and found that the shape that you illustrate above is right for the kit. On another note. Is Lignum Vitae the wood that they used to make piston out of for the steamships?
Nicely done.

BigRob777

I guess it is what they used. I know that it is used for buide blocks on band saws. Thanks for the compliments. I also am using an oval skew now and holding it right, thanks to Clem (also from Delaware). I am a one pen a day, kind of guy, with my bad back. It makes me sore, but I know I am sanding wrong. I bought a mini lathe, to use inside and I will design my work space so that I can rest my arms and back, when I turn. I will have to use my big lathe for larger stuff, but at least I can turn pens in the winter, without freezing my fingers off.
Rob

lkorn

Rob, Nice job on the Sierra! When I can't find any flaws with one of my pens, I hand it to my wife, who then proceeds to tell me whats wrong[:(].

Ron, you're close. LV is still used to make the Rudder Post BEARINGS used to steer the ships. I don't believe wood was ever used as an internal component for any engine.

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Rob,
Great shape on this Sierra. I made 7 Sierra's last night and found that the shape that you illustrate above is right for the kit. On another note. Is Lignum Vitae the wood that they used to make piston out of for the steamships?
Nicely done.

BigRob777

Thanks guys,
I have gotten so much good direction from everyone. I just couldn't figure out how to hold the skew and having it explained to me didn't help. I am a visual learner, so my only (as far as I know) fellow Delaware pen turner (Clem) showed me how to hold it and gave me a few great pointers. It is the same thing Lou was telling me, but I was just too thick to catch on.

This is also my best finish, but I am having trouble figuring out exactly how to apply the CA. How long to sand with each grit or mesh and how long to wait. First, I apply BLO and wipe it in and off. I then put on two coats of CA, allowing it to dry for half a minute between, then sand it down. If it is rough, I use 400, then 600 grit before MM. Does this sound right? Today, it was pretty smooth, so I just used a light sanding with 600, then MM. It is my best finish, but there are still some very fine scratches. The TSW did a great job of hiding them.

There is a period ( . ) sized chip at the clip end, which makes it look like it is too narrow. I also have a small scratch all of the way around about 3/32" in from the same end. I was very pleased with the nib end. My neighbor told me that I have gotten him interested in pen turning, so he will probably be joining us shortly. He even looked up the Wilton mini, just like I bought, before I even told him about it. He's a great guy (Dwayne) and it will be great to share a hobby with him. He helped my friend put on my roof, without ever asking for anything. He will really fit in here.

Well, those of you who really know me have probably figured out that I had to take a pain pill and I get really chatty. I won't torture you any more. Thanks for all of your encouragement and help over the past half year. I have some really awesome friends here.

Larry, Just an aside: Shouldn't it be a dim-witted strip-tease linguist?

. . . . . . . THE [:D] END . . . . . . .
Rob

airrat

Looks good and nice shape to it IMO.
Look up CA finishes. I have found a few good ones on this board and net. I still have some problems with certain types of wood.

What is "freezing"? Still in the 80's here.

alamocdc

Nice job, Rob! I like! And I love LV! I have yet to do anything with LV but polish it out w/MM and apply a top coat of Ren Wax. Other than that, no finish at all. It is lovely wood!

BTW, LV has been used in the shipping idustry for decades (if not centuries). At one time it was the primary wood of choice for block and tackles.

BigRob777

Tom,
Thanks, I did some research, but need to see it done to really get it.

Billy,
I thought about that, but didn't know if I needed CA for structural support (to avoid dings) and prolong shine.

Jim,
I usually am anal, expulsive, that is.

Tom, Billy, Jim,
Thanks for the compliments. I do believe it is my best so far. I am proud of it and it is the first one I would feel comfortable selling.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom