Lignum Vitae nude

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ozkoz

ozkoz

My first post. Can see where some improvements to technique would help.

The pencil is a Mini Sketch Pencil with true Lignum Vitae. No finish has been applied, only been cut with a skew chisel and sanded.

I'm hoping that the timber will absorb skin oil from use and take on a patina that shows it's being used. It'll be my workshop pencil.

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

Looks nice. I like the little details....

I finished a Lignum Vitae pen last year by using the oils in the wood as the finish. Turn the lathe up fast, wrap a paper towel around the blank and as the oil starts to boil out of the wood you move the paper towel back and forth. Gives the Lignum Vitae a nice satin finish....

BSea

Lignum Vitae is one of my favorite timbers. I have a regular carry pen that is LV with no finish. So far, I can't see any patina developing. But I'll bet yours gets more use than mine does. It will turn green though. Just be patient.
Here's a picture of mine. The unfinished is on the bottom.

Looks nice. I like the little details....

I finished a Lignum Vitae pen last year by using the oils in the wood as the finish. Turn the lathe up fast, wrap a paper towel around the blank and as the oil starts to boil out of the wood you move the paper towel back and forth. Gives the Lignum Vitae a nice satin finish....
Thats interesting. I may have to give this a try.

Top Bottom