Lignum Vitae Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

As I mentioned in my post yesterday (http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6033& ) , I got a chance to turn some Lignum Vitae yesterday. I think it has become my new favorite wood, and here's why! I think this Baron and the Jr. Gent I'll also be posting are my best two pens yet. After all the disappointments this weekend with my polyester resin casts, it was reassuring to have these come out okay.

Comments/critiques/criticisms are appreciated; bigger versions are (will be) in my album.

31747_Lignum%20Vitae%20Baron%20-%20Cropped%20small.jpg

BLO/CA finish.

_Lignum%20Vitae%20Baron%20-%20Cropped2%20-%20small.jpg

_Lignum%20Vitae%20Baron%20-%20Cropped3%20-%20small.jpg

_Lignum%20Vitae%20Baron%20-%20Cropped4%20-%20small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very nice looking pens there Jim, I have some more of that, I just might have to dig it out. So....., what about the other little skin.......is that toast to?????

JimGo

Anthony, Are you kidding? I'm saving that one for a "special" pen. I want to get more comfortable with acrylics before I try to turn it; the skin looks beautiful, and I have some nice deep brown African Blackwood that I plan to use as the bottom barrel. I just need to decide what kit to use it with; may have to make a special trip to Woodcraft to get something slightly larger than a SL. Any suggestions?

JimGo

Oh! I meant to give "props" to Lou (DCBluesMan) for his review of the Baron, which saved my butt on this kit! I have a nice tackel box type organizer for my bushings. Well, I had tried to turn a Baron before, but something happened (cut a tenon where there shouldn't have been one) and in my frustration I wound up mixing up the bushings in the box. Thankfully I was able to find Lou's article, which included the size for the bushings. Armed with that info and my cheapie micrometer from HF, I was able to find the correct bushings. Thanks Lou!

JimGo

Which one Michael? There was the black, the pink, and the skin. So far, the pink still has some potential. I'll have to paint the tubes and try the black again, but I think it's going to be too light anyway; I need to use more color next time. I'm not sure what happened with the skin, but I think Anthony was right, if I use a thicker pen kit, it might work better. Looks like mom may be getting a cigar pen for a belated mother's day present! [:D]

JimGo

Michael,
No, still haven't had a chance to play with the pink ones. I just ordered some Classic American pens from CSUSA; hopefully they'll come in next week and I'll be able to work on the skin pen and the resin pens again next weekend. OH, BTW, my gallon of PR came in today, so I'm ready for that casting call we talked about! Should I send an announcement to the modeling agencies in DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom