Light Sabre Entry & Maglev pen stand.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Hey guys
Figured id share my SE entry here :)

The pens body & lid were made from aluminium bar, along with the controls which protude acting as a roll stop. The roll stop on the lid I turned from brass as I thought the colour was a nice subtle touch.

The dot matrix pattern going around the lid was a little challenging. as I don't have a rotary table or indexing setup I decided to etch the pattern. Because of the shape of the lid, it would have been very difficult to protect the remainder of lid while going through the etching process. Because of this I decided to etch the aluminium bar before doing any machining, and then turning the lid around the etched piece.

I didn't want to use any colouring on the etched pattern out of fear it would have looked a little tacky... so I skipped desmutting the piece after etching and heated it with a blow torch in the hope it would bake the smut onto the surface, which it seems to of nicely. This gave the etch a well handled & used look.

The black infill you can see in the lines was airbrushed on, again to simulate a used look. Still looks like paint in my opinion rather than a buildup of dirt in the creases, but guess I need to work on my Airbrushing technique.
attachment.php

First test of the light effect! trying to fit two LR44 batteries into a pen lid is a tight squeeze! let alone trying to fit an LED or other light source in there too.
My solution was to mount an ultra bright LED into the end of the Acrylic rod which push fits into the end. The legs of the LED which protude from the Acrylic were formed into the shape of sprung contacts. one which goes straight down to the positive side of the battery, and the other curved around to the side of the acrylic to make contact with the metal of the pens body which acts as the ground, just how a flashlight is designed.

The two batteries can be removed and replaced with a rare earth magnet so that this pen will levitate on my Maglev display stand, or simply left out if you are intending on using it as a carry pen. In the end of the cap, not pictured (sorry) You will find a terminal machine from brass which covers the top of the battery and accepts the connection from the LED.

attachment.php

For the finishing touches I airbrushed the grips with Acrylic enamel and left to cure for 48 hours. Pretty durable but likely to scratch if man handled. Anodising them would be a better approach.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

-------------------

Maglev Pen Stand
I will start off by saying this was nearly thrown at the wall a couple of times and caused a little worry if I would manage to finish it on time for the competition!

Probably the largest piece of aluminium I have purchased. Quite a lump!
attachment.php

All groves were cut into the piece with a parting tool, and then the piece was hollowed out an inch deep to accommodate the printed circuit board I made.
attachment.php

I drilled a hole through the side for the supporting arm, and as a cable entry point to the base. five cores run through the arm. the other two wires protuding are for the power supply. 7.5V 1A
attachment.php

Here you can see the base is flipped over which reveals where the circuit board is hidden. inside here is three buttons for adjusting the power of the electromagnet to accommodate objects of different weight upto around 80 grams. at this stage bottles and things are propping it up as the supporting arm is not yet fixed in place. If you look closely, you can see there is two magnets levitating there with quite an impressive air gap.
attachment.php

The top was machined from aluminium scaffolding, and the end pieces from solid bar. I wish I photographed the bottom end cap as that was quite intricate. the inside profile was made to cause the bottom cap to wrap around the height of the electromagnet to act as a heat sink. the endplug is also hollowed out so that the electromagnet is sitting on a 1mm layer of aluminium, just behind the black foam pad you can see in later pictures. This was done to maximise the air gap, as further into the enclosure the electromagnet goes, the further away from your pen it will be.
attachment.php

The make or break test. I sellotaped a couple of magnets onto the end of one of my pens to test it out, and was relieved that after a little bit of tweaking, the pen was levitating.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Techie stuff:
I programmed a PIC microprocessor to take a reading from a hall effect sensor which is placed in the end of the electromagnet. This sensor measures the electromagnetic field and adjusts the current of the electromagnet to compensate. Basically as the pen moves towards or away from the electromagnet the field changes, and the microprocessor compensates to either pull the pen closer, or let it move away, causing it to levitate.

I feel like I've missed something... :rolleyes: but C'est la vié

Attachments

• ls1.jpg
    ls1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 688
  • ls2.jpg
    ls2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 656
  • ls3.jpg
    ls3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 652
  • ls4.jpg
    ls4.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 661
  • ls5.jpg
    ls5.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 681
  • ml1.jpg
    ml1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 656
  • ml2.jpg
    ml2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 650
  • ml3.JPG
    ml3.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 647
  • ml4.JPG
    ml4.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 653
  • ml5.JPG
    ml5.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 654
  • ml6.JPG
    ml6.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 656
  • ml7.jpg
    ml7.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 655
  • ml9.jpg
    ml9.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 646
  • ml10.jpg
    ml10.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 665
  • ml11.jpg
    ml11.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 677
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thanks for posting this info, Brad; . very interesting ! . Congratulations on your success and win in the SE !

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow !! :eek: Pretty damned cool stuff there Brad.. !!

One thing......get a set of external jaws for that chuck. Sticking out that far is asking for trouble. I reckon you only have one coil of the scroll holding that chunk !!

Is the mag lev thing adjustable/ So that you can vary where in between it is held? I assume it has to have iron in it too?:confused:

Cool stuff !!:biggrin:

Skie_M

May the Force be with you? :)

Wow !! :eek: Pretty damned cool stuff there Brad.. !!

One thing......get a set of external jaws for that chuck. Sticking out that far is asking for trouble. I reckon you only have one coil of the scroll holding that chunk !!

Is the mag lev thing adjustable/ So that you can vary where in between it is held? I assume it has to have iron in it too?:confused:

Cool stuff !!:biggrin:

Hmmm ... according to the description of the design elements, iron is not required. Magnets are! :)

Last edited:

Si90

Very cool Brad. I have been toying with the idea of lights for a while. This has me thinking about it again. Very well done

bobleibo

Wow! One of these days I'm coming to the UK and going to handcuff myself to you and Skip so that I can learn to use a metal lathe and all of these chemicals. The possibilities are endless!
Cheers
Bob

BradG

Skiprat said:
Wow !! Pretty damned cool stuff there Brad.. !!

Is the mag lev thing adjustable/ So that you can vary where in between it is held? I assume it has to have iron in it too?

Cool stuff !!

I do have a set, though I was torn between using those and having considerably less contact surface area between the jaws and the piece, or doing it this way where the full length of the jaw was in touch. There was over a thread left on it, but I know it was pushing it :biggrin:

No the pen doesn't need to contain ferrous metals. You can either build a magnet into the end of the pen, or if you just want to display a pen, drop a stack of magnets inside the lid of the pen removing the nib, and you can levitate it that way.

The distance the object can levitate is determined by the size of the rare earth magnets used. More magnets together inside the pen will increase the gap. As you can see in my pic, lets say thats 10mm. the magnets are 2mm lower than the top of the pen.. so that means is actually levitating 12mm... add the extra mm for the thickness of the enclosure of the electromagnet gives us 13mm levitation. if I added another 12.5mm x 12.5mm magnet to the pen you may get it as far as an inch if you're lucky.

Im touring with the idea of making half a dozen circuits and putting them together as kits including the electromagnet & power supply. that way others could make their own maglev pen stands. id imagine a wooden version of mine would look amazing with burl. brass trimmings... can just see it :biggrin: .... can see me buying a wood lathe some time in the future for things like that

In terms of levitation there's different designs which can be used... there's always the type which makes a platform float with 4 electromagnets beneath, but these are a little more complex. you can float a full bottle of beer on one though to give you an idea of their capabilities.

Very cool Brad. I have been toying with the idea of lights for a while. This has me thinking about it again. Very well done

Definitely. I Love your attention to detail with your pens and I'm sure you will come up with some really great things.

I have this schematic in the back of my mind for a future project. This would allow us to transmit electricity to the pen rather than it requiring batteries. This way when the pen was in the desk area it would illuminate, or could be made to illuminate when placed on its stand. add a tilt switch and you can add a variable so it glows when its picked up

attachment.php

Wow! One of these days I'm coming to the UK and going to handcuff myself to you and Skip so that I can learn to use a metal lathe and all of these chemicals. The possibilities are endless!
Cheers
Bob

My shops always open :wink:

Attachments

• air gap circuit.JPG
    air gap circuit.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

BradG

The force is strong in this one...

:)

Amazing work!

I was torn between a red or a blue LED :biggrin:

You definitely made the right choice:wink:

Brad this pen was slick the first time I saw it and even slicker with the details explained.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Definitely a fun one to make. Still finding it difficult not to pick it up and swing it round making VOOM VOOM noises.

Top Bottom