Light 'm Up.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

Two one piece. Cannot stop my interest in them. One of them is American Red oak. The Walnut pen is superior to the Oak in workmanship. The Walnut blank is shy the necessary length by 3/32" I should have cut the Sierra tube off a little. When I was cutting these the chips looked the same. I could not tell the Oak from the Walnut. The Walnut turned out to be more red than the Red Oak. the Walnut has tricky grain pattern whereas the Oak has straight grain.

Pens - 1-12-11 American Red Oak Single Cigar 1.jpg

Pens - 1-12-11 American Red Oak Single Cigar 2.jpg

Pens - 1-12-11 Walnut - Oak Single Piece Cigar.jpg

Pens - 1-12-11 Walnut One Piece Cigar 1.jpg

Pens - 1-12-11 Walnut One Piece Cigar 2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

Pretty cool... Your finishes have really gotten better. These pens have got a great shine to them. Nicely done.

Jgrden

Very nice pens. I really like them. Where to get the tubes that long for 1 piece cigar pen?
They are two pieces. A cigar pen kit and one .221 Sierra tube. I will find the tutorial that I printed and give it to you tomorrow.
The real artist, author will thank you.
John

Jgrden

I like both of them a lot. Did you end up using the clear spray laquer to keep the labels from smearing on you?
Good memory. No. First I used a light coat of BLO/CA to wet the wood. Then the label was cut to fit around it. The label was tacked at one end with medium CA. When it was solid enough Iwas able to glue the inside of the label enough to get it to stay down. Then lightly added another BLO/CA and then twenty more coats. After ten coats I reversed the blank on the mandrel and then gave it ten more. I was fortunate in not having a smear. I think it was the particular label used the first time and that is why it smeared.
Thank you for your remarks.
John

Jgrden

Tutorial: One Piece Cigar Pen by Ron Hoccack, aka "rhossack" appears in our IAP Library in the Year 2009. It is excellent, well done, well written, easy to follow with lots of pictures. I could not have done it without him.

Thank you Ron Hossack.

Top Bottom