Light and Dark Blue Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

One of my sons and his wife from Saskatoon , Saskatchewan have been here all week for a nice visit.
We took a few day trips while they were here .
Today we were in Idaho most of the day and on our way home I stopped at my US post box and there were 50 Corian blanks waiting for me . Two each of 25 colors.
I showed them to my son and his wife before supper and after supper we went out and I showed them how easy it is to turn pens. She chose the light blue and he chose the dark blue.
The specs in the dark blue have a distinctive sparkle when turned in the light. .
Of course I gave them those two but they also bought a rifle cartridge pen and a couple other styles to give as gifts when they get back.
W.Y.
335227732.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Snorton20

Forget about the pens, I looked at your website and had seen some of the photos outside your shop. Would you like another son to come and stay for awhile. I am amazed at how you can get anything done living in such a beautiful place. I am jealous. All that put aside nice pens. I hope they enjoy.

Last edited:

W.Y.

Thanks for the nice replys.
Here is a little better picture of the silver sparkle content that is in the dark blue one.
I am still working on learning this photography thing and I am gradually getting there .
W.Y.
335304345.jpg

W.Y.

I tried a modified slimline by making the center band out of a left over piece of a dark blue one I turned previously instead of using the skinny gold center band .
It gave the pen a little bigger diameter and nice feel in the hand for a man but some women might prefer the thinner one with the original band.
W.Y.
335332340.jpg

hilltopper46

Forget about the pens, I looked at your website and had seen some of the photos outside your shop. Would you like another son to come and stay for awhile. I am amazed at how you can get anything done living in such a beautiful place. I am jealous. All that put aside nice pens. I hope they enjoy.

What he said. And the other work you have done is amazing. You have wonderful talents.

W.Y.

Thank you all. Your comments are much appreciated .

Corian sure comes in a lot of different colors. Here is the bunch I got yesterday . 50 blanks, two each of 25 differnt colors and/or patterns . There are a couple missing in the picture because of ones I have already turned into pens.
Those aughta keep me out of mischief for a while turning them all into pens. :-*
W.Y.
50Corian25colors.jpg

ldb2000

William , those are beautiful pens , I like the modified one best .
I never really liked Corian but since I started doing the kitless slimlines I now have a new appreciation for it .
To get a glass like shine out of it get 2 buffing wheels for your drill press and use Tripoli and white diamond to buff them out , you'll be amazed at how smooth and shiny they are when they are buffed .

I checked out your photo album and I see that you are one of those nutcase "Fretters" :eek: , why do you still have hair :biggrin: , I've done a couple of SMALL fretwork clocks and I now wear a hat :hypnotized: .
You do beautiful work :good::good::good:

Last edited:

W.Y.

Hee Hee :biggrin:

I checked out you photo album and I see that you are one of those nutcase "Fretters" :eek: , why do you still have hair :biggrin: , I've done a couple of SMALL fretwork clocks and I now wear a hat :hypnotized: .

After making hundreds of clocks and many hundreds of other scrollswaed items my hair started thinning out all right. :wink: I find turning much more rewarding and relaxing than doing frework . The price of wood got too much where I live for making those clocks and most of the hardware for the clocks went the China route with a highly escalated price and compromised quality .

I still do some fretwork but mostly on a comission basis and I find that some turnings can be kicked up a notch by using a scroll saw in conjunction with the lathe as shown here.
Birch platter with walnut and maple accents laid in to total thickness of the bottom.

W.Y.

130409680.jpg

Top Bottom