Leyland Cypress with unbelievable surface

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

I turned this for a gift for a friend that got me hooked up with a job a couple of years ago. It's from a Leyland Cypress that I had to cut a bunch of branches off of. A handful of good ones were dead and dried out on the tree. This piece came from an area where 4 branches were clustered. It's on a slimline.
66762_127960340597373_100001502242963_172200_3410609_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave_M

Really nice piece of wood. Looks like maybe a few spots in the finish but maybe it just needs a wipe down. I like it.

Drstrangefart

There are a few small spots, created by some of the more heavily textured areas on the wood. I was trying to avoid cutting much deeper as the point was to capture the grain of the wood where all of the branches were.

IPD_Mrs

Love the grain. Don't know that I've seen it before but you did a very good job bringing out the best characteristics of that piece.

ctubbs

The timber is beautiful and the fit is awesome. The finish is good over all, but the wood knocks my eyes out. Great job saving the character of the wood. Beautiful pen.
Charles

mach9

Man, that is beautiful! I had to cut down 4 Leyland Cypress a few years ago because the bagworms killed them. I wonder if I should dig up the stumps?!

Drstrangefart

Man, that is beautiful! I had to cut down 4 Leyland Cypress a few years ago because the bagworms killed them. I wonder if I should dig up the stumps?!

I would. Try to get some of the clustered areas in the root ball. If you're gonna go for it, rot is actively working against you. But, those things do have deep tap roots and probably have some crazy figure somewhere in them. Most Leylands have a lot of inside branches that die and dry out on the tree. You can harvest them and keep the tree alive. The ones I got them from were about 50 feet tall.

Drstrangefart

Thanks for the kind words! I'm happy with the figure, and I'm gonna try to find a smaller diameter main branch with a cluster like that on it for better figure. I may have one in my private reserve (term used loosely).

Top Bottom