Lever Action

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from adirondak5

adirondak5

Turned this the other day . I wasn't sure what to expect with this kit , this one is Antique Nickel . I was pleasantly surprised , its a nice kit , almost elegant IMO . It has some weight to it . The lever mechanism works just fine . This should be a big hit with my deer hunting buddies . Barrel is stabilized cherry burl , sealer and friction polish finish . As I was putting it together I was laughing as I wondered what would Micah think of it . A reference to a character from the old TV western "The Rifleman" (did I just date myself here?) :biggrin:

bRDw7JD.png

gkfXbor.png

Here it is with a Bolt Action companion and a PSI Gun/Pen Case

18YJ3K1.png

xNhKMqo.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Very nice--love the wood. I like the lever action, and I don't generally go for "gimmick" pens. I'd love to see a "Hogleg" version!

Regards,
Michael

adirondak5

Very nice--love the wood. I like the lever action, and I don't generally go for "gimmick" pens. I'd love to see a "Hogleg" version!

Regards,
Michael

Thanks Michael , I agree , too much gimmickry I think is tacky , that's why I didn't really know what to expect with the kit . I thought it to be very tastefully done one I had it in my hands

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

Thanks Michael , I agree , too much gimmickry I think is tacky , that's why I didn't really know what to expect with the kit . I thought it to be very tastefully done one I had it in my hands

I was thinking the same thing--I like the bolt actions, and am glad I tried a lever action (I like to use walnut recycled from rifle stocks). Just got in one of the .45 kits, and it's pretty nice as well (got it glued up, but haven't turned it yet). I use Tru-Oil to finish my rifle stock wood pens for more authenticity and they really look tasteful I think.

adirondak5

Regards,
Michael

I was thinking the same thing--I like the bolt actions, and am glad I tried a lever action (I like to use walnut recycled from rifle stocks). Just got in one of the .45 kits, and it's pretty nice as well (got it glued up, but haven't turned it yet). I use Tru-Oil to finish my rifle stock wood pens for more authenticity and they really look tasteful I think.

I like the idea of Tru-Oil on walnut , I may have to try that . I just glued up a nice piece of spalted figured maple for another lever action , I'll most likely finish that the same as the cherry burl . I have not tried the 45 kits yet but probably will in the near future .

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

I like the idea of Tru-Oil on walnut , I may have to try that . I just glued up a nice piece of spalted figured maple for another lever action , I'll most likely finish that the same as the cherry burl . I have not tried the 45 kits yet but probably will in the near future .

I like the finish--I did a number of rifle stocks back in the day with the same finish. I use the Birchwood Casey sanding sealer, hit it with some steel wool, then the Tru-Oil. On a real stock, I'd feather it a couple of times to raise any fibers first, but probably not necessary on a pen.

adirondak5

Regards,
Michael

I like the finish--I did a number of rifle stocks back in the day with the same finish. I use the Birchwood Casey sanding sealer, hit it with some steel wool, then the Tru-Oil. On a real stock, I'd feather it a couple of times to raise any fibers first, but probably not necessary on a pen.

I've used Tru -Oil quite a bit on guitar necks I've built , for figured maple it really brings the flame/chatoyance out .

bpgoldo

Herb, you old codger....not that old. The lever action I posted two weeks ago I called a "Lucas". So there, blow out them candles! Right back attcha friend.

mecompco

Herb, you old codger....not that old. The lever action I posted two weeks ago I called a "Lucas". So there, blow out them candles! Right back attcha friend.

I do like a nice lever action. Back in the 90's, when I was in the gun biz (Title II manufacturer) I bought a brand new Winchester '94 Trapper in .44 Mag (with the big John Wayne lever). Cut the barrel/magazine to 12" and redid the sights with a white dot post and Williams Ghost ring receiver sight. That was one slick little carbine--one could spin it easily. I never did have the cojones to live fire it that way. Hunted with it, though--one couldn't ask for a much more handy brush gun.

adirondak5

Ha ! Brian , that must be what got me thinking on those memories . Years ago at work we had a running joke all the guys in my generation were in on , anytime a questionable decision was made or a not so good idea came up one of us would always pipe up "yea , but what would Micah think " , half the guys didn't know what we were talking about . :biggrin:

adirondak5

Here is an antique brass lever action with a stabilized spalted maple barrel . I perfer the antique nickel finish but still a nice pen no matter the finish on the hardware .

Cm88p1j.png

7ytWx5g.png

MTViper

I've turned a bunch of the lever action pens. They are great to turn and feel good in your hand. They also attract attention wherever they go. My favorite one so far (and my carry pen) has a rattlesnake blank on it. That's a crowd pleaser. Turned 5 of these for a groom and his groomsmen using deer antler from a deer he shot. This one's a winner.

Sataro

Nice looking lever actions. I haven't tried these yet but looking at yours makes me think ai need to try a couple.

adirondak5

I've turned a bunch of the lever action pens. They are great to turn and feel good in your hand. They also attract attention wherever they go. My favorite one so far (and my carry pen) has a rattlesnake blank on it. That's a crowd pleaser. Turned 5 of these for a groom and his groomsmen using deer antler from a deer he shot. This one's a winner.

Steve , could you post a picture of your pen with the Rattlesnake blank , would love to see it . Did you cast the blank yourself ?
I have a few sets of antlers that would be good for some blanks , will have to try that soon .

Nice looking lever actions. I haven't tried these yet but looking at yours makes me think ai need to try a couple.

Thanks Billy . I'm sure you'll be pleased with them , a nicely done kit .

Top Bottom