Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Called What the Heck is that wood I just turned... LOL
Here is a picture of a Cigar Pen I just turned from a piece of wood I found in my garage shop... I will not tell you what the wood came from until a few guesses are made... but it just shows that we will turn just about anything we find if it looks interesting... and this did... I really have no idea what this wood is... I have a hunch but that is about it... I am absolutely no good and blind identification of woods... all I know is that it turned out pretty and was a dream to cut and sand..
20041111211856_MysteryWood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Tom that is one georgous pen, only two things come to mind. One is quilted oak and two is, Do you have any more? I mean really do you have any more? Thats wild. Did you stain or add color or is that gold color natural? It looks like quilted gold, 22K gold at that. I'm stunned.

Wayne

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
The finish on that pen is some BLO followed by CA and a final finish of Shellwax Glow and Renaissance wax...
The scan came out a little more golden in color than the pen actually is.. it is a bit of a duller gold.. but I am really happy with it.
I have about 3.5-4' more of the stuff and might actually have more if I take a look where I found this piece...
HINT.. HINT... the original stock was round.... and available in just about any hardware store...

Daniel

I guess a mop handle or piece of dowel.
if it dowel I would say it is oak, at forst glance I was thinking quilted Maple.
if it is any other type of handle it could be Hickory.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Your Right Daniel... it is from a piece of 3/4" mop handle that I found in the corner of the garage... there are about 8 others there that I have not taken a good look at yet... never thought of Hickory... never seen hickory with that kind of grain... but I have enough for a couple of more nice pens... LOL..

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Well, my wife informed me where the wood came from but I still have no idea of what it is...
The handles are hoe handles from the defunk Union Fork and Hoe Co. in Columbus Ohio.. fat lot of good that does me.. LOL...
But there are about 8 more of them in the garage and tomorrow I will be taking a long hard look at them... Right now they are being used for hot dog sticks for our annual family cookout... I told my wife that if any of them show any figure like the one I cut, the hot dog days are over for them...

Daniel

I thought of Mop Handles be cause there is one at work that I have my eye on. I think the grain in yours is a bit better. But I was very suprised when I saw it.

C_Ludwigsen

I'm sticking with my first answer. Because I have several pen blanks of white oak out in my barn right now! Quilted Oak. And Quilted White Oak to boot.

Of course, it could be Hickory or Ash, they make good handles too...

Hmmmmmm...

PenWorks

Wayne, I will give you first dibs on 2 dozen broken broom, hoe, rake, & shovel handles. Top quality grain! Only $10 per handle and I will be happy to pay the postage. LOL

Great job Tom, I would go with Wayne's suggestion when you get around to sell them. I would pay more for quilted oak than a mop handle.

Beautifull daughter too. Nice pumkins, and whatever else I missed. Anthony

wayneis

Anthony don't laugh, I bet if Tom had not told us what it is and where he got it there would have been plenty of us (me included) wanting to buy them. LOL Some of the nicest Rosewood that I have ever come accross was a few pieces that had been trim in an old mansion. When it was torn down somebody had a brain storm and saved the wood and sold it.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom